Very quiet on here at the moment so,

This is where you can rest a while and discuss anything - doesn't have to be steel guitar related!

Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:32 pm

I have recently acquired this dirty great lump of machinery called a Clarke Metalworker, it consist of a lathe with a mill/drill attached and it looks very nice in my kitchen but, as I know bugger all about engineering probably wasted on me..... anyway, I have given up on building a Battleship and decided to try and make some Emmons type knee levers and the first attempt clanked out of it today, I am sure they would work fine on other guitars if anyone is interested?, I am not looking to sell them for profit but some help towards material would be good, the aluminium comes in great big lengths and is quite expensive but retirement is about playing with your toys and I can't just play steel all day.... The parts I turn out will definitely not be the equal of what you get from Bob Adams or Ron McL. as I am novice/beginner with this bit of kit but I am determined they will work :D , pics to follow when I finish playing......

It just went through my mind that I remembered Baz's old Emmons on stage at the Galtymore about 30 years ago and under was a pair of Mole grips to act as a knee lever LOL not seen that before or since.....
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 6278
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:19 pm
Location: St Neots
Real Name: John Davis

Re: Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby Haddock » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:36 am

By a peculiar coincidence, I have also taken on the parts making mission. The back of my car is currently occupied by a milling machine! MSA were a bit slow in getting back with the price of some parts so I thought, WTF and took the plunge. I’m wanting to make some bespoke bits to try and address my dreaded G# compensator issue. I was fairly sure my tool kit would have a tuning wrench , some Allen keys and a pair of snips but a vertical mill might require a bigger bag!
Cheers
Calum
Haddock
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:53 pm
Real Name: Calum Maclean

Re: Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:05 am

Calum, I would suggest you remove that thing immediately from your car! it will undoubtedly flatten your battery :o :?

Last edited by JohnDavisStringsHere on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 6278
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:19 pm
Location: St Neots
Real Name: John Davis

Re: Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby Haddock » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:52 am

Easier said than done. I was quite surprised it went in the car! Might be there some time.....
Haddock
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:53 pm
Real Name: Calum Maclean

Re: Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby Mcneilwaeasteel » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:23 am

:roll: This post brings to mind the thought " fools rush in where angels fear to tread " great to have machinery to make things buuuuuuttt :oops:
You will have to buy tools and parts to make parts and make parts to hold parts whilst making parts :cry:
But the extasy and joy of holding up a bit of ally as a finished part is soured when you realise you have spent four hours machining it and your up to your neck in cuttings with silver bits scattered everywhere trying to avoid the brush you are cleaning up with. :x
Been there done it and got a load of machinery to prove it :oops:
One :censored: of a can of worms :!: BE WARNED, no time for guitar playing :guitar: :guitar:
Is this the right place to advertise a lathe, milling machine, drill press and boxes of useful bits and pieces :?:
No longer slummin, I’ve got a Mullen and a damn good amp as well,
they’ll be well played, if not played well, seat time alone must tell!
Mcneilwaeasteel
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:04 pm
Real Name: Robert Mac Neilage

Re: Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby RonMc » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:12 am

Nice to see you've got started John, there will be no holding you back now, I would probably be better to start sell my machinery now. :D Joking aside, well done m8. :D :D
Roland amps, Telecaster, Tyros 4 and several self built steels.
User avatar
RonMc
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:25 am
Location: Milton Keynes
Real Name: Ron McLaren

Re: Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:23 am

Ron, if I want anything making properly I am coming to see you!!!, after playing with this toy for a day or so ......I have even more respect for you guys that know what you are doing..
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 6278
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:19 pm
Location: St Neots
Real Name: John Davis

Re: Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby simon_f3 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:36 am

Very exciting, John! I'm sure after a week or so you'll be able to machine your name in joined-up writing on each lever :guitar: :guitar:

Can I put in an order for a couple of Sho-Bud levers please? ;) I would very much like to set up my C6 neck in the same way you did on Ken's old Pro 3, with the extra 2 levers on the left knee. Plus I need to play around with a few rods on the E9...
I'll happily make the tea and can provide (dodgy) advice on turning and milling operations :lol:
Simon 'Sid' Farley
User avatar
simon_f3
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:48 pm
Location: Coventry, UK
Real Name: Simon Farley

Re: Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby Danny Mitchell » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:37 pm

I have to doff my cap to you boffin\engineer types, who can calmly countenance shoving your tools up into the undercarriage :shock:
In first year at secondary school I fashioned an aluminum fish lifter that never saw the underside of a fried fish, but that my dear old Grannie treasured like a family jewel. Actually, if it was still around these days it would probably win the Turner Prize for modern art. Since that debacle, and along with the 'toy ship', from woodwork class, that got immediately decommissioned (put in the bin), I have assiduously avoided any such machinations and come to rely on the 'polystyrene and gaffa tape solution' to life :lol:

Changing strings breaks me into a cold sweat :cry:

Gentlemen, I salute your work :guitar:
GFI Ultra keyless S10 4+5 Emmon's setup + Sigler, Li'l Izzy, Hilton volume pedal, Roland Cube 80gx, Joyo American Sound Pre-amp, Behringer VD400 Delay Pedal, Peterson Strobo Plus HD and a brace of bars, Ben's, Ezzee-Slide, Pearse, BJS, SIT nickel strings.
User avatar
Danny Mitchell
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:15 am

Re: Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby Stan Steel » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:03 pm

C5656660-80D0-4BE1-84B6-E621590EED78.jpeg
60723540-491A-40A6-8A24-880E347B78D4.jpeg
6B69BC32-37C7-4863-8794-4FE2B4373FE6.jpeg
Just thought you may like to see what happened, before I knew of the existence of you folk!
I got a good hacksaw, a selection of files, loads of drill bits, cheap tap and die set, plenty of wet and dry, a pillar drill from Lidelle a second hand wizards hat and low grade O level woodwork and metalwork.
I brought the pedals and pickup from MSA in 197?, The machine heads came from our local music shop. The rest I built myself.

If only I had known where to get some help with the mechanics, I would not have torn so much of my hair out!

I was talking to my Daughters the other night, about the Big Share Out when I pop off, saying they could have a Steel each.
I told them that I now know folk that could help me put a better undercarriage on. Their reaction was brilliant..........
Don’t you :censored: dare!!! You built this from scratch without knowing quite what you were doing. This will pass down the family for the rest of time. Bless their little cotton socks.

Best of luck with all machinery, just remember that sometimes it can become slightly possessed, and seem to have a mind of its own :lol:

Please laugh with me and not at me, on picture one,
Regards,
Stan...
StanSteel and the world passes by........

My lovely (all be it a bit shoddy) Homemade E9 pedal, Sho Bud LDG, Knight (U.K.) Guitars: Sycamore 335, 12string semi and Walnut Tele thinline with B bender, Harmony lap steel and lots more...Lucky boy!
Stan Steel
Deceased
Deceased
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:30 pm
Location: Bridport, Dorset.
Real Name: Stuart

Next

Return to Steel Guitar Cafe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests