Woodstock

Tablature wanted or posted

Woodstock

Postby Will C » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:37 pm

Has anyone looked at the Matthews Southern Comfort version? I've been trying to work out the chords for the very legato stuff behind the chorus ("We are stardust.....") - Sounds like bits of Gm scale passages around the 18th fret. I've got the opening and closing chords ok, they are easy enough but I really need some help - anyone out there with a good ear?

It's a beautiful example of how the PSG can underpin a song totally.

Will Cowell
St Ives, Cambridgeshire
User avatar
Will C
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Ramsey, Cambs
Real Name: Will Cowell

Re: Woodstock

Postby john roche » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:13 pm

Em
I came upon a child of God
A
He was walking along the road

And I asked him "Where are you going?"
Em
And this he told me

"I'm going on down to Yasgur's farm
A
I'm gonna join in a rock and roll band

I'm gonna camp out on the land
Em
And try and get my soul free"

CHORUS #1:
A
We are stardust, we are golden
Em D Em A Em
And we've got to get ourselves back to the garden
Em
Huy do do do do do do huy do do do do do do

Huy do do do do do do huy do do do

Then can I walk beside you
I have come here to lose the smog
And I feel to be a cog in something turning
Well maybe it is just the time of year
Or maybe it's the time of man
And I don't know who I am
But you know life is for learning ...CHORUS #1

By the time we got to Woodstock
We were half a million strong
And everywhere there was song and celebration
And I dreamed I saw the bombers
Riding shotgun in the sky
And they were turning into butterflies
Above our nation ...

CHORUS #2:
We are stardust, billion year old carbon
We are golden, caught in the devil's bargain
And we've got to get ourselves back to the garden
john roche
Deceased
Deceased
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:58 am

Re: Woodstock

Postby Ken Byng » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:23 pm

John - above are probably chords to the original version, but MSC version has different chord arrangement using more minors.

Will - try this version which looks a lot closer to MSC's version. Dead simple really.


http://www.morenciel.com/tab/engtab/arc ... dstock.txt
Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
User avatar
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 3367
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:46 pm
Location: Southampton, United Kingdom

Re: Woodstock

Postby Will C » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:14 am

John, that's a guitar tab that's freely available out there, I found it first when I went looking - so thanks, but Ken's right, the MSC version is different in many ways. Thanks Ken, it's closer and reinforces my belief that it's played in Bb/Gm so that helps straight away.

I'm thinking the "twiddly bit" behind the chorus goes something like this: ("e" = lower E's, LKL on my Jimmy Day setup)

2----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3------------------------------------------------------------------18-------------------------------------------------
4----------18---18e---18---18e----------18---18e-----------------------------------------------------------------
5------------------------------------18a----------------18a----------------------------------------------------------
6----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- and variants on it. Gm an octave up. What do you think, Ken - am I on the right track?

Will C
St Ives, Cambridgeshire
User avatar
Will C
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Ramsey, Cambs
Real Name: Will Cowell

Re: Woodstock

Postby Ken Byng » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:24 am

Will
You are not a million miles away. You will need to come down an octave and play it in palm harmonics. I will see if I can get time to sit behind my steel and record it with my camcorder and either YouTube it or send you a DVD. It is a very simple piece technically, but typical of Gordon, it fits the number perfectly.

Ken
Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
User avatar
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 3367
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:46 pm
Location: Southampton, United Kingdom

Re: Woodstock

Postby Will C » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:49 am

Hmmm yeah I just wish I could do palm harmonics.....
St Ives, Cambridgeshire
User avatar
Will C
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Ramsey, Cambs
Real Name: Will Cowell

Re: Woodstock

Postby Will C » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:01 pm

OMG so that was Gordon Huntley. Now I know why everyone raves about him. Talk about seminal influence... Reminds me of when I first heard of JJ Cale. Went out and bought his LP "Troubadour". First track was "Hey Baby". I thought: "love that steel playing, very classy". I just found out a month or so back that it was Lloyd Green....
St Ives, Cambridgeshire
User avatar
Will C
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Ramsey, Cambs
Real Name: Will Cowell

Re: Woodstock

Postby Will C » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:26 pm

OK guys, cracked it. Thanks Ken in particular. Now all I need is lots of practice to get really fluent.
St Ives, Cambridgeshire
User avatar
Will C
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Ramsey, Cambs
Real Name: Will Cowell

Re: Woodstock

Postby acerod » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:45 pm

Just been transferring JJ Cale's ' Naturally' to CD. Some nice steel on there. Don't know who it is.
Zumsteel Encore 3+5, Mooer Red Truck, Goodrich Match-Bro, Tech 21 Para Driver, Roland Cube 30x, Guvnor dobro, '89 Fender Squier, '84 Tokai Breezysound Tele, and several accoustic guitars. COPD and bad back!
acerod
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:54 am
Location: County Mayo, Ireland.
Real Name: Roy Campbell

Re: Woodstock

Postby Will C » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:17 pm

I think it was Lloyd Green, he deffo played for JJ on Troubadour. I have all his early LPs on vinyl, will check.
St Ives, Cambridgeshire
User avatar
Will C
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Ramsey, Cambs
Real Name: Will Cowell

Next

Return to Tablature

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron