Your favourite recording OF YOURSELF !

Reviews of CD and Internet tracks and You tube etc

Re: Your favourite recording OF YOURSELF !

Postby Basil Henriques » Fri May 04, 2012 4:14 pm

Ja mein Kapitän ... Ich tzee through das peepenschlot ist korrekt..
or :-
はい私の船長イムあなたが正しい舷窓thatb透けて見える

:ugeek: :ugeek:
Basil Henriques
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Location: Trevelmond, Liskeard, Cornish Riviera, United Kingdom

Postby STEDDIE EDDIE » Fri May 04, 2012 8:18 pm

well i make a point to avoid Ballyhaunis, just in case i run into him and he asks me to do a gig, in fact he did ask me to do a gig with him some years ago, on one of his many visits to Manchester, and i told him i was gigging on that particular night, and he replied 'but i didnt tell you the date yet' oops ! Basil, most people on this forum wont know who the hell we are talking about, they are the lucky ones, but i noticed Paul was very quick to answer correctly, oh nice playing there Paul, what key do you do 'lets go back to county mayo' in????
Carter sd10 USA Fender Telecaster, digitech rp155, Goodrich ldr2 vp, peavey nashville 112 electro-voice, Roland 80XL,
STEDDIE EDDIE
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Basil Henriques » Fri May 04, 2012 8:37 pm

Yep, you're right Eddie, they don't know how well off they are.. Now, about this young Brennan lad's improvement, It's going quite well but methinks he should be listening to more of the Iconic players rather than the shambollick sexagenarian one ? YES ?? :twisted: :twisted:
(Sexagenarian now and next year would you believe I'm a Septuagenarian..)

"Im gigging that particular night"
"'but i didn't tell you the date yet"
"Doesn't matter I play EVERY night",
"And Daytime sessions 5 days a week. Watch the Footy on Saturday and of course Sunday is reserved to view the Sky 210 "Hot Cuntry"

BTW No typo, just a cryptic comment
Basil Henriques
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby acerod » Fri May 04, 2012 9:50 pm

Mais Oui Baz I think you may be referring to L'Ami des Tinkres. We backed him one night and rose everything a full tone.Do excuse my Milliganesque french. Sorry Eddie I just lined you up for a job with him. Tee Hee.
Last edited by acerod on Fri May 04, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zumsteel Encore 3+5, Mooer Red Truck, Goodrich Match-Bro, Tech 21 Para Driver, Roland Cube 30x, Guvnor dobro, '89 Fender Squier, '84 Tokai Breezysound Tele, and several accoustic guitars. COPD and bad back!
acerod
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby acerod » Fri May 04, 2012 9:56 pm

Basil Henriques wrote:はい私の船長イムあなたが正しい舷窓thatb透けて見える
You wan lice widdat.

:ugeek: :ugeek:
Zumsteel Encore 3+5, Mooer Red Truck, Goodrich Match-Bro, Tech 21 Para Driver, Roland Cube 30x, Guvnor dobro, '89 Fender Squier, '84 Tokai Breezysound Tele, and several accoustic guitars. COPD and bad back!
acerod
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby STEDDIE EDDIE » Fri May 04, 2012 11:41 pm

TRUE STORY, Manchester, crown inn, around 1998, decent pub crowd, playing lead guitar and steel with MUSTANG, guest artist KP, to do a one hour spot, around 16/18 songs, KP's first song was 'cottage in the country' i know anyone involved in Irish Country will know this intro, with the same turnaround, and the usual format would be songs in sets of 3, quick steps, waltzes and fox trots, after bringing in the first song in, i swear to god, i brought in every song with exactly the same intro and used the exactly the same turnaround, quite often in the same key, 2/4 3/4 6/4 whatever the timing, the rest of the band were in fits of laughter, the drummer was falling off his stool, but KP never noticed, and thanked the band for great backing, oh how i love [alleged] singers :guitar:
Carter sd10 USA Fender Telecaster, digitech rp155, Goodrich ldr2 vp, peavey nashville 112 electro-voice, Roland 80XL,
STEDDIE EDDIE
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Basil Henriques » Sat May 05, 2012 7:51 am

I can believe you regarding the intros and turnarounds, that's (Almost) what I did on his records..

One tip if you EVER get to back him again... do NOT watch his feet during the song, it will completely throw you, his foot movement bears simply no resemblance to the tempo.

So back to Paul's work...Also slightly reminiscent of Tom Brumley with a fatter tone and better string balance/bias..IMHO FWIW etc. :shock:
Also a little like my style when I was with Belamina Figleaf, Thomas' Mor or Raygoalie Dayganiels !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Basil Henriques
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Paul Brennan » Sat May 05, 2012 2:48 pm

Well Basil I do believe that's the first time I've seen the old baygand layganuage in written form. There's very few people on the scene who use it now. I know Roy is fluent. Perhaps Chayarlie Aygarkins and Maygartin Claygeary also but that's about it from the haygeads I know.

Basil you mention Tom Brumley. Now there's a player's tone I've always admired. I always thought his tone was solid, authoritative and very distinctive. I had the great privilege to watch him in action in Newbury in the early nineties. I noticed how hard he picked the strings. I asked him about this and he told me this was the most important aspect of his technique. He said, "you gotta move those strings and get the maximum tone they can give you. Then you regulate it with the volume pedal". All perfect common sense but it made a huge impression on someone just playing the steel for a year or two.

Another player whose picking style greatly impressed me was Paul Franklin. I also had the opportunity to watch him carefully in Newbury. He also picks very hard but there's a very subtle use of the volume pedal going on here as well. He backs off the pedal a tiny amount to hide the pick attack and then instantly brings it back to the previous level. This gives him his distinctive "thick" sound.

And by the way, I too have had the eh... priv...... eh the opportunity to back KP. It was in England, can't remember where exactly. I too played exactly the same intro's and turnarounds. The old eleven fifty one. It'll never let you down.
Paul Brennan
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Basil Henriques » Sat May 05, 2012 3:30 pm

Mmmmm. Roly was in the "Ben Lang" but Phillo was just a spoonerism and Big Tom was "i nGaeilge" I know, it's not exactly "Gaeltacht" Irish .... probably a residual memory from my South West Munster connection. Henriques-Portugal-Valentia Island (Dairbhre) etc.

As for picking hard, I don't do it that way, I govern my dynamics with my picking and my OVERALL volume with the "Swell Pedal".. But, to each his own, Maurice Anderson and the Big 'E' vary their picking strength... and how do you relate Tom Brumley's statement to all those who play without picks (except the thumb) ?

Nah, it's a matter of what YOU can do yourself rather than following the styles/techniques and 'Finagle's Law of Dynamic Negatives' of others.

How about a couple of Spoonerisms ? This one of mine would be most descriptive.. "Burly Chassis" (Shirley etc)
And this, risqué ....:- Try and spoonerise Charles Dickens' novel title "A Tale of Two Cities" .. it transforms into "A Sale of Two :censored:
Basil Henriques
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Donny Johnston » Sat May 05, 2012 4:14 pm

Baz, your getting all your mucking words fixed up.
Blanton D10, Justice s10, Fender Acoustasonic 150, 1 Brain, 2 Hands, 2 Knees, & 2 Feet.
Donny Johnston
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

PreviousNext

Return to Pedal Steel Recordings