All Modes in all Positions (with TAB)

Tablature wanted or posted

All Modes in all Positions (with TAB)

Postby oriolmusic » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:10 pm

Using the modes, displaying them on the neck and combining them with each other is something that takes more than one lead guitarist. Many people who write to me asking about this problem and how to solve it. In this exercise what I try to show is a practical way to be able to exchange them and especially within the tempo.



1. Creation Of A Phrase And Melodic Analysis
In this step what we are going to do is create a phrase in Ionic mode, it does not matter what tonality (I propose Ionian G). It is important for the exercise to be complete that all the degrees of the mode appear in this sentence. Once created, we analyze the degrees that appear in it.

2. Modal Exchange
Once the analysis of our phrase is done, we do the same but in all modes and keeping the same tone. That is, if we have made a phrase in Ionian G, we do the same but in Doric G, Phrygian G, Lydian G, etc. In this way, we can see how the degrees of the mode vary depending on the mode in which I am. Keep in mind that the more octaves I use and positions to make my phrase, the more complex it will be (and more complete). Adapt this concept to your level.

3. Using The Metronome
After viewing the modes and changing the degrees in each mode, my recommendation is to use the metronome: set a tempo to play the mode and a distance in bars for the mode change. For example: playing at 120 bpm and between modes and leaving a measure of difference. This is especially important, because with the use of the metronome I will be able to know at what speed I am able to switch modes and it is a very useful way to quantify my improvement. In addition, having the ability to visualize the modes at the moment is extremely important to play styles where modal exchange is frequent (jazz, fusion, blues, ...) also in a concert or jam session you will rarely have time to take a few minutes to think.

I hope it has been very useful, I am available to answer questions on any of my social networks.

PDF of the exercise on my website

http://www.oriolmusic.com/todos-los-mod ... ejercicio/
oriolmusic
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:22 pm
Real Name: Fehacio

Re: All Modes in all Positions (with TAB)

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:31 pm

Sir, I would respectfully doff my hat at your obvious knowledge and ability on the 6 string guitar but we are more pedal steel guitar over here and not many of us speak your language and some of us know more about commodes than modes ..... but i thank you for the help you are trying to give.
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 6278
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:19 pm
Location: St Neots
Real Name: John Davis

Re: All Modes in all Positions (with TAB)

Postby Nick Bidmade » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:50 pm

Don't worry John. His modes are in Spanish.
Nick Bidmade
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:40 pm


Return to Tablature

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron