Very quiet on here at the moment so,

This is where you can rest a while and discuss anything - doesn't have to be steel guitar related!

Re: Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby RonMc » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:17 am

You are correct Bob, I did tell John that EVERYTHING in the tool room is sharp, even the 'just finished job', and beware of flying metal, minuscule and otherwise. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roland amps, Telecaster, Tyros 4 and several self built steels.
User avatar
RonMc
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:25 am
Location: Milton Keynes
Real Name: Ron McLaren

Re: Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:25 am

Everything except the engineer who is "half sharp!" But if you eliminate the risk altogether does it not get boring then?........ I thought we were all cowboys on here :?
Yippi l o ki aaa
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 6278
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:19 pm
Location: St Neots
Real Name: John Davis

Re: Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby Mcneilwaeasteel » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:08 pm

JohnDavisStringsHere wrote:Everything except the engineer who is "half sharp!" But if you eliminate the risk altogether does it not get boring then?........ I thought we were all cowboys on here :?
Yippi l o ki aaa

John as you will know, " half sharp " can still be cutting and dangerous at times and even a blunt instrument can cause great pain :o
Cowboys use hands and fingers to ride a horse, Calum safety specs are more important than wearing an old set of bins and a face visor :evil: is even better, it will even adjust to fit your head of curls :roll:
The first thing anyone learns before operating machinery is safety in the workplace ( kitchen as well ) all machinery can "bite" and before you try to cut, drill or machine anything, think of what it will do to your digits and eyes before switching on, as machinery has a mind of it's own :oops:
If life gets boring make shure you can duck when items fly off the machine, or bits fly out at you unexpectedly, hot cuttings down your slippers will keep you on the hop, so wear proper shoes and not beach sandals :P
On the plus side, it's very rewarding to make things but it takes time, knowledge, and experience to gain pleasure from doing it. Enjoy making bits and get fun out of doing it but remember the fun you had learning to play steel guitar and now your going to do the same with a big green machine that can bite and maim you when your guard drops :x

Here endeth today's lesson and this cowboy hopes to sit down at his guitar later today, rather than stand up and attempt to make something simple :geek:
P.S.
As a "cowboy" I could invite danger into my life by thinking of making an advance on that well built "old blonde" that I fancy, but life's to short and even viagra would be of little use to a dead man 8-) Yippie eye NAW :guitar: :guitar:
No longer slummin, I’ve got a Mullen and a damn good amp as well,
they’ll be well played, if not played well, seat time alone must tell!
Mcneilwaeasteel
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:04 pm
Real Name: Robert Mac Neilage

Re: Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:37 am

Ok Robert I will do the safety stuff as per your lesson as far as I am able and thank you for your concern but you can still play steel guitar with dodgy digits..... I have proved that much.... After the blood sweat and cussing I have produced something that on a dark night would pass as an Emmons type lever and another one is nearing completion, if anyone wants it and is prepared to finish the polishing process themselves then a contribution of 35 quid would work for me and I will get some more material...... this type lever with screw down base is in 3 parts and the middle part is a real Sod! to get right......the other Emmons lever that fits on a shaft (two part ) is a lot easier to make......next may be SHOBUD type tear drops....who knows, anything I make has a corner guarantee....... :D
Attachments
20181103_185725.jpg
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 6278
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:19 pm
Location: St Neots
Real Name: John Davis

Re: Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby simon_f3 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:37 pm

John, if you're fed up with having to create a mound of swarf to get the mounting bracket right on a billet part, it sounds like you need one of these :)
I've had one on my Christmas list for ages but Santa hasn't yet turned up with the goods...
Simon 'Sid' Farley
User avatar
simon_f3
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:48 pm
Location: Coventry, UK
Real Name: Simon Farley

Re: Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby Haddock » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:39 pm

Well John is right, it is quiet on here, so here’s the report of my first day in action at the mill. Where did the day go! Suddenly it was getting dark and I am holding a strange shaped bit of alloy and have a couple of ‘prototypes’ on the floor. Not nearly as dangerous as expected though! My table saw is much more terrifying and the chainsaw is best not discussed. By far the most scary power tool ever is one I didn’t have the courage to buy. It was a chainsaw chain wrapped around a 115mm disc to use on an angle grinder for cutting out bowls and the like. Arbor tech I think and it seems they’re not for sale anymore but Chinese versions are available on eBay for the brave.....
Cheers
Calum
Haddock
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:53 pm
Real Name: Calum Maclean

Re: Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby RonMc » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:53 am

Its really all down to a bit of common sense, we can go a bit over the top regarding safety. I remember years ago when working in the tool room and the 'factory inspectors' were due their visit, it was impossible to use the milling machines due to the volume of guards that had to be fitted. :lol: :lol:
Roland amps, Telecaster, Tyros 4 and several self built steels.
User avatar
RonMc
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:25 am
Location: Milton Keynes
Real Name: Ron McLaren

Re: Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:55 pm

BIG Milling mistake !!!! I bought these Colletts on ebay and they don't fit my machine :o anyone know what machine they would fit? I guess you have to make a few mistakes when your learning.... :shock:
Attachments
20181105_131247.jpg
20181105_131228.jpg
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 6278
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:19 pm
Location: St Neots
Real Name: John Davis

Re: Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby Haddock » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:49 pm

Sorry John, no idea but if it’s any consolation, I’ve also got a workshop full of things I bought by mistake. Some success today but they’re not going to win any awards.....

BA4BAA1F-021A-41B6-B8A8-8E7AD3B99759.jpeg
Haddock
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:53 pm
Real Name: Calum Maclean

Re: Very quiet on here at the moment so,

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:10 pm

nice work Calum on the chunky side I reckon but looking good.
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 6278
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:19 pm
Location: St Neots
Real Name: John Davis

PreviousNext

Return to Steel Guitar Cafe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests