Switch to full style
Reviews of CD and Internet tracks and You tube etc
Post a reply

I give up....... I guess I should quit!

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:39 pm

Re: I give up....... I guess I should quit!

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:12 am

Wow! Hot n tight! :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:
Add bald n wet and I'm in heaven! :lol:
Great find Bob.

Re: I give up....... I guess I should quit!

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:43 pm

Bob don't give up he is not that good he is just doing a few hundred things that we can't do yet...... go lie down in a dark room for a while and get your strength back.....

Re: I give up....... I guess I should quit!

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:46 pm

Fantastic stuff! I've heard of these guys on the R&R scene but not yet managed to catch them play. Very reminiscent of Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant in the combination of steel and electric guitar. Stuff like this makes me waver between on the one hand being motivated to practise a lot more, and on the other hand considering selling all my gear and never playing another note!

When I think about it, I got loads better at electric guitar just by being in a band with someone who was outrageously good at playing, and copying his licks - and that was before youtube existed. I am hopeful that with a good bit of seat time I can get up to (adequate) speed on PSG by learning from those who are miles ahead of me, both in person and virtually :D

Don't forget, if it is possible for a human to do it, then it is possible for any of us to do it with enough practice!!! :guitar:

I promise to post a vid of me playing soon, to make you all feel a lot better about your musical level :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: I give up....... I guess I should quit!

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:33 pm

Great stuff, love it :D

@Simon - Having played 6 string for decades then taking up this incredible instrument I know how difficult it is even just to get started, but it's worth it, stick in there :D

Re: I give up....... I guess I should quit!

Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:53 pm

I try not to watch too much Fast and Fancy playing on YouTube, Facebook etc, I do find it dispiriting and it has a bit of a negative impact. Never going to be one of those guys unfortunately . On the other hand seeing great players live in person is entirely inspiring, somehow it's just different. I saw Don Pawlak playing with Dale Watson last night, WOW! Super tasteful, inventive in a number of styles, nothing show offy but highly skilled, perfect intonation, totally got me fired up for practice. :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

Jonathan

Re: I give up....... I guess I should quit!

Tue May 08, 2018 10:38 pm

Here's another motivational video, although the quality of the recording is not for praise but I still hope it will be of some help for Bob to make the right decision :lol:

Re: I give up....... I guess I should quit!

Wed May 09, 2018 12:45 am

Ah! Toni ........ all the things I've had to do fast I've done already, nowadays things are a tad more sweet and slow! There is much to admire in the speed picking on this clip but for me now it's becoming quality over quantity!
Doug Jernigan is the master when the picking is fast! Papa John (R.I.P) when it's slow and quality! As for me! I'm still hanging in there!

Re: I give up....... I guess I should quit!

Wed May 09, 2018 5:55 pm

Nicely put, John.
If you could play like that.... would you?

Re: I give up....... I guess I should quit!

Thu May 10, 2018 7:07 pm

Mr Adams, don't you dare, dismiss that thought immediately from your mind.
It's not all about fast, some guys out there think they are being paid by the note, yes there is a time and place for all styles.
I love my steel when it is calling the dogs home.
I think you can say more with three notes in the right place, than you can sometimes with three thousand.
IMHO
Asleep at the steel
Post a reply