lazy thumb

Tablature wanted or posted

lazy thumb

Postby derek evans 15 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:37 pm

ANYBODY OUT THERE KNOW ABOUT LAZY THUMB .THE REASON I ASK IS I HAVE DAVE HARTLEY,S ORANGE BLOSSOM SPECIAL TUTOR ,AND AFTER A LOT OF PRACTICE I AM GETTING TO GRIPS WITH IT .MY PROBLEM IS PICKING I.E TWO STRINGS WITH MY FIRST AND SECOND FINGERS ,WITH MY THUMB PICKING ALTERNATIVE STRINGS. IF DAVE HARTLEY READS THIS, OR ANYONE WHO HAS THIS ARRANGEMENT , MY PROBLEM IS ON PAGE 4 LINES 3 + 4. IS THERE A SPECIAL PICKING SEQUANCE. REGARDS DEREK EVANS.
derek evans 15
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:35 pm
Location: hartlepool
Real Name: derek william evans

Re: lazy thumb

Postby Paul Brennan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:14 am

Hi Derek. Do you mean you have a problem coordinating the alternating thumb picking with the other two fingers? If so, the answer, as with all these type of issues on any instrument, is to break everything down very slowly. Try to understand how everything works together very slowly. Gradually build up the speed. It takes patience and determination but you'll get it eventually.
Paul Brennan
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:39 am

Re: lazy thumb

Postby David Hartley » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi Derek.
Keep the thumb rigid and move the whole hand. You will naturally do a palm block like this. The speed gets there with practice, but start slowly. Keep the grip of the thumb and the two fingers rigid and over three strings together. There will be a slight bit of movement in the thumb when the speed gets faster but not much. Don't bounce off the strings too much, just a millimetre is enough to clear the strings for the notes to ring out before blocking. Closer the better. Keep palm near the changer too where the blocking action doesn't make the strings bend towards the fretboard with the blocking action otherwise your hand will bounce too much.
I hope this helps.
David.

PS.. It's the first time I have been on here for weeks.
I've been hibernating all winter and haven't played much either, especially now John S. has gone...
I might come out of my hibernation bed when the warmer weather gets here.

It's better having a lazy thumb than a lazy C#%K....Ha
CD's and individual tracks available to download from iTunes and CD Baby.
Email [email protected] for tuitional material and lessons.
David Hartley
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: lazy thumb

Postby derek evans 15 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:41 pm

THANK YOU TO PAUL AND DAVE FOR A PROMPT REPLY TO MY QUESTION ON PICKING. DAVE COULD YOU TELL ME WHAT SPEED YOU PLAY AT ON O.B.S AS I HAVE AN OLD YAMAHA SEQUENCER THAT I CAN SLOW DOWN AND PRACTICE WITH AT ANY STAGE OF THE TAB. REGARDS DEREK.
derek evans 15
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:35 pm
Location: hartlepool
Real Name: derek william evans

Re: lazy thumb

Postby derek evans 15 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:05 pm

Thank,s to you Dave Hartley ,your advice has been a big help to me . I am playing a lot better on my blocking .regards derek.
derek evans 15
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:35 pm
Location: hartlepool
Real Name: derek william evans

Re: lazy thumb

Postby acerod » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:48 pm

[quote="derek evans 15"]ANYBODY OUT THERE KNOW ABOUT LAZY THUMB "
I have 2 of them. They're attached to my lazy body.
Zumsteel Encore 3+5, Mooer Red Truck, Goodrich Match-Bro, Tech 21 Para Driver, Roland Cube 30x, Guvnor dobro, '89 Fender Squier, '84 Tokai Breezysound Tele, and several accoustic guitars. COPD and bad back!
acerod
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:54 am
Location: County Mayo, Ireland.
Real Name: Roy Campbell


Return to Tablature

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron