Dobro Effect

News of steel players

Dobro Effect

Postby STEDDIE EDDIE » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:39 am

Just noticed that a Goodrich super bro Dobro effect was snapped up immediately, i have never used one, and they seem to be pretty thin on the ground, would like to try one though, but about 6 years ago, i was selling a Dod Graphic eq pedal on ebay, and the winning bid came from Nottingham, and the winning bidder and myself made delivery arrangements, i noticed the name was dthurlby, so i asked, are you Derek Thurlby the steelie, and it was, and he told me he was buying the eq pedal, in order to get a dobro effect, by basically having a 7 band eq in an upside down 'V' shape, ie mids high, lows and highs backed right off, gives a pretty good dobro type sound, ive since tried it, and its pretty good in a band mix, not suggesting for one minute it is anywhere near a National or whatever, but it gives a steelie another option, soundwise, if anyone uses a multi fx type unit, maybe you could set a patch for dobro effect, by setting the eq with perhaps a very subtle hint of 'PHASE' in there, to try and imitate the Timbre of dobro, you might just find a nice sound in there, and it does make you use the bar more, cos you need to refrain from using the pedals and knee levers, to give a more authentic dobro type sound, give you something to do these cold winter nights, any one else out there already doing this? apart from Derek and now Me, :guitar:
Carter sd10 USA Fender Telecaster, digitech rp155, Goodrich ldr2 vp, peavey nashville 112 electro-voice, Roland 80XL,
STEDDIE EDDIE
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Re: Dobro Effect

Postby Ken Byng » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:31 pm

Eddie
Years ago Eric Snowball - steel guitar dealer in Maidstone - showed some of us how to use a 7 band graphic equaliser to get a dobro-type tone. Effectively the alternate sliders were either full on or full off, i.e. the bottom fader was right off, the next one full on, the next full off and so on. Thats how the BoBro was created according to some. It's worth a try.

To be honest, I haven't heard any dobro simulator that sounds just like the real thing. UK steeler Micky Byrne uses his a lot on stage, and is happy with the end result.
Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby STEDDIE EDDIE » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:01 pm

yeah i have to agree Ken, you will probably never hear a simulator that sounds like the real thing, i think that goes for any instrument, but as i have said, if you can get something approaching, in a band mix, you may just get away with it, i have a Godin Acousticaster, [basically, a hollow body telecaster, with sound chambers and piezzo saddle pickups] which i rarely use on a gig, but when i put it through the PA, it sounds fantastic, in the band mix, as good as any takemine etc, but with a small body, but put it side by side against say a Martin, Lowden etc and it just lacks that 'real thing' element, i'll try that alternate eq slider thing, its sounds kinda like adding a frequency, and sucking it out at the same time,
Carter sd10 USA Fender Telecaster, digitech rp155, Goodrich ldr2 vp, peavey nashville 112 electro-voice, Roland 80XL,
STEDDIE EDDIE
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:19 pm

I first tried the matchBro and was not that impressed with it but IMHO The SuperBro is a much better bit of kit.. I have played in a couple of bands where I was the only lead instrument and it sure helps to have that extra sound, it also makes my two licks sound totally different so people now think I`ve got four!!:)
I met up with Bob Dixon at a gig/festival in Cornwall and he tried my SuperBro He was not that impressed with it but he plays with a Dobro on a stand next to his steel and I reckon he is used to the sound he gets from it.
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby STEDDIE EDDIE » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:33 pm

yeah, like i said, put any simulated instrument next to the real thing, and there is no comparison, Boss make an acoustic guitar simulator pedal, which i thought would be a great addition for my telecaster, so of course i bought one, and after a couple of gigs, it was put in the naughty cupboard, never to see daylight again, it was bobbins [manc slang] but the worst i ever heard was when a keyboard player was watching me set up my steel one night, and he said to me 'ive got a great pedal steel guitar patch on my keyboard' i said 'oh, let me hear it then' he pressed the PEDAL STEEL GUITAR button, proceeded to play a chord which automatically detuned a semi tune and slid up to pitch about a second later, i said 'is that it?' he said 'yeah, pretty good eh!' i just looked at him with a very blank expression, and i would say the hardest instrument to imitate must be ether pedal steel or fiddle, in fact i would say impossible
STEDDIE EDDIE
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby slimbo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:57 pm

Did a gig once and when the band started up I heard this very good Dobor sound, but could not remember seeing one on stage, so I peeped throu the curtain and the guy was playing the steel, no Dobro. When he came of I enquired for where did the sound of the Dobro come.
Do you remember the old wa, wa pedal, or cry baby as it was called, about circa 1950 ish, well, he had this in line with the volume pedal, and had drilled a hole underneath so the pedal would only come on to where he had set a coach bolt and twin nuts under neath. hence, heel back to swith the pedal on, then down onto the head of the bolt, haveing been adjusted to the position where he obtained the best sound, then foot on the volume, and visa versa to switch off.
Worked like a dream, the only problem being is, they are about as available as rocking horse S**t but if you have one in the cupboard dust it off and give it a try, I was well immpressed, but then, It don't take much to immpress me.
slimbo
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby STEDDIE EDDIE » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:54 pm

hi slimbo, as far as i am aware, the cry baby wah pedal is readily available, without checking before i write this, i think it has been reissued by dunlop, who market the MXR range of pedals, yeah i can kinda imagine it giving that tonal vibe in a fixed position, actually i do have a wah effect on my guitar processor, a boss gt 10, i will try it and post my opinions on it, nice one slimbo,
STEDDIE EDDIE
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Dave Boothroyd » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:25 am

How about this? What sort of guitar would you say this is?
http://www.myspace.com/479163799/music/songs/50152806
It's not me, it's my friend Dan playing his own piece, "Georgia Porch", recorded in my little home studio in Malvern.
Cheers
Dave
Dave Boothroyd

Return to Steel Players