Important notice to all paid up members of the BSS

Details of the Bi Monthly Newsletter from the society sent to paid up members

Important notice to all paid up members of the BSS

Postby Uncle Roy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:48 pm

It is with regret that I must announce that the current March newsletter will be the last to be produced.
It wasn’t an easy decision to make after 46 years but because of the situation I now find myself in with health issues at home I find I am a full time carer and just don’t have the time to dedicate to 4 newsletters/24 pages per year.

The second reason being sadly over several years the membership has declined due to many older players passing and to the internet.

I have had a enjoyable 46 years producing the newsletters but realise that this is the right time to exit.
My sincere thanks to all who have supported the letters through the years.

In my office files I have many cheques waiting to be banked and will be returned to members or destroyed if requested.
I will return any larger part payments and the smaller ones will be donated to the SS forum which as you know is financed by Bob Adams.
Any question you may have or queries please pm myself on the forum or email : [email protected]
My thanks go to Bob and Mark for their support running the forum as no way could I have done the newsletters and forum alone.
Lastly please cancel any standing orders you may have with the society.
Thank you all.
Roy
Uncle Roy

Re: Important notice to all paid up members of the BSS

Postby Donny Johnston » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:10 pm

A sad day indeed Uncle Roy, but you can't do it all, you must attend to your priorities. Please give my best wishes to Syl, as we would say in Scotland " a great wee wummin". Best Wishes Donny.
Blanton D10, Justice s10, Fender Acoustasonic 150, 1 Brain, 2 Hands, 2 Knees, & 2 Feet.
Donny Johnston
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Danny Mitchell » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:31 pm

Thank you Roy, I've really appreciated all that you've put into the newsletter since I started subscribing. Always informative, educational and entertaining, just like the BBC was meant to be, and let's face it, 46 years is one hell of a shift! :shock:
All the best to you and yours, Roy
and thanks again. Danny.
GFI Ultra keyless S10 4+5 Emmon's setup + Sigler, Li'l Izzy, Hilton volume pedal, Roland Cube 80gx, Joyo American Sound Pre-amp, Behringer VD400 Delay Pedal, Peterson Strobo Plus HD and a brace of bars, Ben's, Ezzee-Slide, Pearse, BJS, SIT nickel strings.
Danny Mitchell
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby steveman747 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:05 am

This is a sad day for British steel guitar but you have to look after yourself and your own health.
46 years is a cracking effort.

Best wishes Roy, stay safe.
Kind Regards Steven Hicken Jr

2015 Show Pro SD10
2020 Hudson Hudsonator (Pedabro)
Quilter 202 TT12

(Sometimes)
Steven Hicken Sr's 1981 - Sho Bud The Pro-1
Peavey Session 400 Limited
steveman747
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby JohnS » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:07 am

Thank you Uncle Roy.
As a late starter in the fascinating and often frustrating world of Steel Guitar (non pedal)
I thank you for your dedication to the BSS and for all your 46 years of work to publish the
newsletter. Please take care of yourself.
Regards
John Stafford
JohnS

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:26 pm

Sad news indeed Uncle Roy but you are correct Sylv needs you and that is a far better job than looking after us lot!! Please give my love to Sylv she knows she is in safe hands with you, and dont go missing from the forum we still need you here.
If your left with a big pile of BSS coats, I will take another one,,,,,, and keep in touch!
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby coolsteel » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:30 pm

Hello Roy

I am sorry to hear of the circumstances in which you take your leave. I would like take this opportunity to thank you for the 46 years of generous service that you have given to the BSS for the benefit of all the members.

Best Regards
Richard
coolsteel
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Willie Gamble » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:59 am

Hi Roy, sorry to hear that you are retiring from the steel magazine, but under the circumstances we all understand.
Please convey to Sylv all my best wishes. Now, I sincerely hope that beautiful G2 is not going to be neglected Roy, that would be a real crime. I take it you won't be disappearing from the forum completely.
Take good care and best wishes to you both
Willie
Willie Gamble
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Zebedee » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:54 am

Thanks for all your hard work, Roy
ZeBedee aka the spring man
Zebedee
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby bob adams » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:40 am

When you have 'available free time' it is admirable to spend hours in the service of your fellow players, extensively gathering and presenting helpful information and news for all like minded.

When illness hits however or you enter serious caring roles it completely changes your pallet and the capability to keep everything flowing, upbeat and colourful and input becomes increasingly challenging.

Your dedication has been outstanding over the years Roy and prior to your email of the other day I have been expecting this announcement for some time.

You have gone above and beyond especially in recent times, I only trust, 'though I doubt' that folks will fully comprehend the effort you have put into this publication.

We'll make no major changes to forum for the foreseeable and I trust you will you will continue to fire into that as circumstances permit.

Take care of yourself and Sylvi and don't put your steel in the case!!! B
bob adams
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Next

Return to Newsletter