Old "Wanted" and "For Sale" posts go in here. Read Only.
Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:46 pm
Nice playing!
And yes:I love my GFI universal 8/5 keyless!
Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:26 pm
Very good right hand technique.
Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:10 am
Holy crap - after watching that I think I'll sell mine... only joking, although I'm really impressed. My RH technique is pretty useless.
Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:44 pm
Thank you Will, Ken and Thijs! Although, being a pick blocker, I do wish I could palm block too - it just feels too unnatural for my hands. I envy all those who can palm block well!
Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:55 pm
There are pros and cons of both techniques. The best pick blockers I have seen are Paul Franklin and Buck Reid. Both blisteringly quick, but so too are Tommy White and Mike Smith, both of whom are inherent palm blockers. Both methods work, and both can sound great. A combination of both techniques is the ultimate way forward, à la Buddy Emmons and Mike Johnson.
Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:30 pm
Those are the kind of players that both inspire me and dishearten me at the same time haha! Paul Franklin is my main influence overall, his chops are unbelievable. I've read that you spend time in America Ken, I bet you've seen them all!
Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:06 pm
bradsteel wrote:Those are the kind of players that both inspire me and dishearten me at the same time haha! Paul Franklin is my main influence overall, his chops are unbelievable. I've read that you spend time in America Ken, I bet you've seen them all!
I have met them all Brad. Paul is an awesome player, and has a superb right hand. I have watched him up close a few dozen times. On occasion he has dropped some clangers at steel shows (haven't we all) but at the Time Jumpers shows that I have seen him play at he has been superb. Tommy White is just brilliant all of the time, and I prefer his slow playing to Paul's. He plays with soul.
Maurice Anderson was one of my favourite players, and Tommy and Paul both rated him very highly. I have spent time with Mike Johnson and Buck Reid. One on one, Buck can just bewitch you with his technical ability. His bar movement is amazing and his pick blocking is just so clean. He is a lovely person, as anyone who has met him will attest to. For me the man who has all of the technical ability and superb choice of notes is Mike Johnson. Mike has a wonderful tone and a very quick brain for making up arrangements on the spot. I have spent time with him in the studio and socially. Great, great player, and another really nice guy. In fact all of the top players are great people.
Steve Palousek is someone who I admire greatly, and is a friend. Steve is a palm blocker who is as smooth as you can get. I could go on, but the people that I have named are all personal favourites. I dream of bringing them all over to the UK to do some shows, but its just a pipe dream at the moment. Keep up the good work Brad - you are one of the best pick blockers that I have seen in the UK.
Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:06 am
It's so cool that you can talk about these kind of people from experience Ken. I've heard a lot of Mike's, Tommy's and Buck's stuff but I'm unsure whether I have heard much of Steve Palousek, I will check him out online!
Do you think it's possible to get them all over for a show?! If so, count me in for a ticket!
Thank you for your encouragement and compliments, Ken. Both mean all the more coming from you!
Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:42 pm
bradsteel wrote:It's so cool that you can talk about these kind of people from experience Ken. I've heard a lot of Mike's, Tommy's and Buck's stuff but I'm unsure whether I have heard much of Steve Palousek, I will check him out online!
Do you think it's possible to get them all over for a show?! If so, count me in for a ticket!
Thank you for your encouragement and compliments, Ken. Both mean all the more coming from you!
Here are 2 examples for you Brad.
Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:46 pm
And another one
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
phpBB Mobile / SEO by Artodia.