ZB Custom for sale

Old "Wanted" and "For Sale" posts go in here. Read Only.

ZB Custom for sale

Postby billiams » Tue May 07, 2024 7:23 pm

Hi, I have a zb custom that I'm looking to pass on for reasonable offers and am looking to gauge interest. The instrument needs renovation but seems to be in ok condition. I live in Southend on sea (clearly postage isn't an option because of the weight!). If anyone is interested I can send lots of pics to show condition I may also post on e-bay - any advice please?

I welcome any support in this as I am not a steel player so know very little but this instrument looks to me to deserve a loving home and a thorough overhaul!!!

Bill
billiams

Re: ZB Custom for sale

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Wed May 08, 2024 10:17 am

some pics Bill??
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Ken Byng » Wed May 08, 2024 2:42 pm

You need to put more info on here to generate a bit more interest buddy.

1. Single or double neck.
2. Number of pedals + number of levers.
3. Colour.
4. Serial Number (if poss).
5. Ballpark figure if you are considering selling.
Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby billiams » Wed May 08, 2024 7:03 pm

Hi. It is single neck, three pedals and two levers, black fretboard with polished aluminium frame and chrome legs. I’d like about 200 if that’s reasonable but am open to offers. I just want it to have a good home. Don’t know the serial number- where would it be?
Attachments
IMG_2783.jpeg
IMG_2781.jpeg
IMG_2782.jpeg
IMG_2780.jpeg
IMG_2779.jpeg
IMG_2778.jpeg
IMG_2771.jpeg
IMG_2770.jpeg
billiams

Postby Ken Byng » Wed May 08, 2024 7:36 pm

Your guitar is worth considerably higher than £200 William. The guitar is a ZB Student model, not the best pedal steel ever made but not the worst either. Someone has used black wrap on the front of the cabinet, and the pedalboard. I reckon it looks okay actually. If you send me a PM, I'll tell you what the current value is in my opinion. Otherwise, someone else will quickly trouser a bigger profit on the guitar than you. A departing word, one of the best ZB's that I ever heard for tone was a lowly black student. The tone was incredible!!
Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby FRANK BLOOMFIELD » Thu May 09, 2024 5:07 am

I agree with Ken, defo a ZB Student but customised quite well, the person that did it must have had close ties with Eric at ZB Guitars , Maidstone back in the day as , like Ken , being an agent for ZB, I don't remember any parts , i.e. decals , and the non student pickup, looks like the twin coil as fitted to the pro jobs hence the red selector switch, and knee levers being readily available.

The serial number should be on the edge of the aluminium end plate on the underside of the endplate at the changer end and I agree again with Ken it is defo worth more than £200, a great student steel they are , there must be an interesting history to this steel and with two sets of ZB strings !
Last edited by FRANK BLOOMFIELD on Thu May 09, 2024 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
FRANK BLOOMFIELD

Postby FRANK BLOOMFIELD » Thu May 09, 2024 5:54 am

Just remembered !

This is , I believe , was an attempt by Eric to make an improved Student steel, he called it a 'Starmaker' and I also believe he only did one conversion which is possibly this one William has, perhaps Ken can elaborate.

As you can see from the photo it is identical along with the description from the page of the Steel Mill price list.
ZB STARMAKER.jpg
OLD ZB PRICE LIST.jpg
FRANK BLOOMFIELD

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Thu May 09, 2024 6:09 am

Bill in todays market your guitar would sell somewhere between 800 to 1200, it could prob.do with a new set of strings and a demo so people can see it played, be glad to help you with it if you want me to?
I agree with the others dont give it away.
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby billiams » Thu May 09, 2024 1:07 pm

Thanks so much for everyone’s help and support. The guitar is now sold and I’m happy with the price

It will now get restored and played as it should be!
billiams

Postby Arcada » Thu May 09, 2024 2:54 pm

billiams wrote:Thanks so much for everyone’s help and support. The guitar is now sold and I’m happy with the price

It will now get restored and played as it should be!

If it sold through the forum, please consider donating towards the forum running costs if you haven't already done so.

There's never been a charge for advertising sales through the forum, but any donations from successful sales are always appreciated.
Arcada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Archive