Page 1 of 2

Irish Steel Guitar Festival 2020.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:59 am
by Willie Gamble
Well, today would have been day one of the ISGA festival, held each year in the Green Isle hotel, Clondalkin, Dublin.
Due to this bloody virus this years show has had to be cancelled. At this moment in time I feel as low as a snakes belly, due to the fact that I won't be meeting up with my "steel guitar family" in Dublin.
The Scots lads usually set off on Friday, head for the mid day ferry at Cairnryan, sail to Larne, book into our B&B and have dinner and a few pints and laps into the arms of Morpheus.
Saturday morning, bright and early, rise , breakfast and set of for Dublin and every year we manage to get lost (but we get there eventually) then into the hotel to receive, what must surely be the friendliest welcome on earth.
Steel guitar all day, vendors, chat, jokes and fun all day till dinner time, then after dinner it's down to the bar for the jam session at night.
The 2 lads who do the sound for the steel show ( Brendan and Declan) provide the backing band for the jam session, and what a band they are, fantastic players and harmonies like you wouldn't believe.
And guess what.
We have it all to do again on Sunday.
I am so so sad that it isn't happening this year, it really is the highlight of my year and I will miss you all.
Anyone who has not been to the festival yet, I would urge you to give it some serious thought, it really is a fabulous, friendly atmosphere, well, we are all steel guitar lovers after all, so why would you expect otherwise.
Here endeth the rantings of a very depressed little unit.
Asleep at the steel

Re: Irish Steel Guitar Festival 2020.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:17 am
by Uncle Roy
So Right Willie, lost is the feeling this weekend. I hope all our ghosts are filling the Green Isle to the sounds of Mullens, Sho buds, Bennetts, GFI etc.
Very Sad :cry:

Re: Irish Steel Guitar Festival 2020.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:27 am
by Uncle Roy
Anyone wanting the Irish steel festival DVDs from last year I will be holding stocks here for sale.
I will notified the forum as soon as they arrive.
Cheers

Re: Irish Steel Guitar Festival 2020.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:14 am
by Ted Nesbitt
As Willie Gamble says, today would have been day 1 of our great Steel Guitar Festival in Dublin. Lets hope and pray that we can continue next year. For those of you who have satellite TV, tune into Irish Chanell TG4 on a Tuesday evening and you will see some of Irelands steel players on a programme called Glor- Tire. It is then followed by a 1 hour show called Opry Le Daniel featuring Irelands finest steeler, Mr Richard Nelson.

Re: Irish Steel Guitar Festival 2020.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:22 am
by Donny Johnston
I have to agree with all Willie, Ted and Roy have said, and proud to have been a part of it. Brilliant weekend. Donny.

Re: Irish Steel Guitar Festival 2020.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:55 pm
by Ken Byng
This perishing virus has a lot to answer for. Sorry you're suffering from withdrawal symptoms Willie. At least you have got Gartcosh to fall back on when conditions will allow. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:03 pm
by bob adams
Perish the thought it can't happen next year!

Some videos for you to enjoy and reminisce over the past years! there are still some to fill in '' I'll try to do that tomorrow.










Some real favs there! More to come!

Re: Irish Steel Guitar Festival 2020.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:39 pm
by Uncle Roy
Brilliant Bob, thanks for posting these gems.

Re: Irish Steel Guitar Festival 2020.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:27 am
by Danny Mitchell
Great bunch of clips, Bob. Interesting to zoom in and see JD Manness' bar technique.
Thanks for sharing.

Re: Irish Steel Guitar Festival 2020.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:13 am
by SoBSteel
I am putting the dates into my diary for next year (presuming it will be around the same time), it'll be the first time for me but I can't wait! Take care all and hope to meet you next year.