SSGW NOV 24

News of forthcoming Steel Guitar events, meetings and Festivals

Re: SSGW NOV 24

Postby Ken Byng » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:55 am

Davie Holland wrote:Many thanks Ken for your kind comments. Sorry I missed you on your visit to the SSGW. Hope to catch up with you soon bud.


I only said it 'cos it's true Davie. :D You didn't miss much on my visit, just a few bum notes and little else. :oops:

It's my intention to rent a cottage next year in the Airdrie area for a week or two, and now that Donny has published next year's fixture list I will make sure that my holiday coincides with one of the SSGW meets. This time though I might try to get hold of the pre-arranged tunes in advance. :lol:

I would recommend that any of the Sassenach brotherhood from south of the border bring their guitar and amp to one of the meets. It really is a lot of fun. :D
Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
User avatar
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 3367
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:46 pm
Location: Southampton, United Kingdom

Re: SSGW NOV 24

Postby Donny Johnston » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:21 pm

Ken, It would be nice to see you back up, send me an email to: [email protected] and I will put you on my contacts list. Whenever you decide to come up I will send you the tracks for that month. I hope you have Band in a Box. Donny.
Blanton D10, Justice s10, Fender Acoustasonic 150, 1 Brain, 2 Hands, 2 Knees, & 2 Feet.
Donny Johnston
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 2260
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:35 pm
Real Name: Donny Johnston

Re: SSGW NOV 24

Postby Ken Byng » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:21 pm

Donny - email sent.

Thanks
Ken
Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
User avatar
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 3367
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:46 pm
Location: Southampton, United Kingdom

Re: SSGW NOV 24

Postby bob adams » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:02 am

Ken! In truth we are a bunch of Piranhas! ............... We feed from each other and I confess I am now utilising a part of my guitar that was being deaf eared! .........not any more courtesy of your contributions!

We are a friendly bunch of 'brothers in arms' that's for sure and 'trust me' .................. ours are .... always .... open!

I've burned much rubber over the years as most of my working life was in 'field sales' so 40k miles a year was not uncommon, for that reason I know all too well the consideration and expense of lengthy trips!

But you know what.. we're worth it!! ......... You are guaranteed a 'great welcome' and a real fun night!

We have had visitations from England, Ireland and Wales but are we content....... NO!!! ............. There are so many more we need to join us!

Could we ever have a SSGF! .......Now there's a seed planted!

We could get Hartley and Thurlby up ... they both have sisters in Scotland and they so need to visit them more!!!!

Then ... our mates ....JD, Roy H, Mark D, Dave K (with Carol of course) Spencer, Kevan B, Dave N, Mr Hayword, Matt P, Allan K, Richard B, and so many more!

As for our Emerald Isle!............. I'm not listing them .... 'Cause They are Family'! .......... much loved.......and I wish often..... we didn't have water between us!!

So I'm thinking is there a 'Scottish Convention' possible? .........Stone me we might even get Lord Thompson and crew to come down!

Well ...!!!!
......Is it a sin to dream?? !!!!

PS:
Great to see Billy McKillop at our last meet! .....

I so miss Billy L and Ronnie McA .. we 'all' have issues in our lives right now but we need the odd night off! ...... Please! come back and join us, it would be an absolute joy to see you! B
User avatar
bob adams
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:48 pm

Re: SSGW NOV 24

Postby Willie Gamble » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:28 pm

Wise words young Bob, if only, mind you who would have thunk ( as our American cousins would say ) that we would ever have seen a Scottish Steel Guitar Workshop, now in it's third year, and all through a chance comment at the Dallas Show.

And to think, up until three years ago some of us had never met.

So I suppose all things are possible.

Asleep at the steel
Willie Gamble
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:26 am
Location: Lochwinnoch, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Real Name: Willie Gamble

Re: SSGW NOV 24

Postby Willie Gamble » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:34 pm

I forgot to add, it would be the icing on the cake to see Billy Murdoch along at our monthly meetings, it pains me to say that Billy sees the workshop as a Pis.ing contest and nothing could be further from the truth.

Your playing, and your humour, would be a valuable asset to the workshop Billy, it is only after you come along will you trully find out if you are a boy or a lassie.

Ah want chips

Asleep at the steel
Willie Gamble
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:26 am
Location: Lochwinnoch, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Real Name: Willie Gamble

Re: SSGW NOV 24

Postby Ken Byng » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:27 pm

Willie Gamble wrote:I forgot to add, it would be the icing on the cake to see Billy Murdoch along at our monthly meetings, it pains me to say that Billy sees the workshop as a Pis.ing contest and nothing could be further from the truth.

Your playing, and your humour, would be a valuable asset to the workshop Billy, it is only after you come along will you trully find out if you are a boy or a lassie.

Ah want chips

Asleep at the steel


Yes - definitely!!!
Billy and Malcolm are two really good mates of mine and and are very fine players. Both have first class rigs and no-one loves the instrument more than those two. Additionally, both could out-pee Mr Gamble any day of the week as he is a bit closer to the ground than them. :lol: I hope that they both turn up next year when I come back to a workshop, hopefully around May time. ;)
Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
User avatar
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 3367
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:46 pm
Location: Southampton, United Kingdom

Re: SSGW NOV 24

Postby Willie Gamble » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:59 pm

Ah! Ken, so you noticed then, I wondered if you had. :oops:
Asleep at the steel
Willie Gamble
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:26 am
Location: Lochwinnoch, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Real Name: Willie Gamble

Re: SSGW NOV 24

Postby Ken Byng » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:45 pm

Willie Gamble wrote:Ah! Ken, so you noticed then, I wondered if you had. :oops:
Asleep at the steel


Didn't want to mention it Willie old son. Only marginal mind you. Having said that, check out the number of non-tall players who are/were a step above others. Tommy White, Buck Reid, Jerry Byrd, Ronnie Miller, Lloyd Green, Al Brisco, Johnny Cox, Paul Franklin, Doug Jernigan, Jeff Newman, Herby Wallace, Sarah Jory, David Hartley and so many others that I have often thought that being slightly under average height is a distinct advantage when it comes to playing steel guitar. ;)
Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
User avatar
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 3367
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:46 pm
Location: Southampton, United Kingdom

Re: SSGW NOV 24

Postby Tony Smart » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:58 pm

What about Buddy Emmons, Maurice Anderson, Julian Tharpe, Jim Murphy - all big boys. ;)
Tony Smart
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:29 pm
Location: Harlow, Essex

PreviousNext

Return to Steel Guitar Events Meetings and Festivals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest