This could be the embarassing corner but it should be fun
Post a reply

Now an oldie - but back then??????

Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:38 pm

This is me with the Country Echoes in 1975. What a handsome lad. Not so much for the steel though. Built from plans in "Practical Wireless". The legs were lengths of conduit and the pedal bar a thick piece of steel. So rough it had to be tuned a tone lower as every time i tried to get properly tuned the strings would break. No knee levers.
Attachments
.facebook_1662844937.jpg

Re: Now an oldie - but back then??????

Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:40 am

Now there’s a man who loved steel!!! …. Anybody got any pictures of those old ‘Practical Wireless’ plans??? :D

Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:30 am

Bob
Roy H posted a pic of the offending magazine with the behemoth on the front cover, either on this site or the old site. Hopefully Roy still has it. Mick's guitar looks more like a pedal steel than the one on the front of that edition of Practical wireless by the way.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:59 pm

Well found the cover picture. Forgot how crap it actually looked. No plans yet though.

http://www.vintageradio.me.uk/magazinecvr/imagecvr/cvrs0905/cvrpw469.jpg

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:14 pm

Yes I had one of those things. Bought it from a guy in Taunton, so disappointed with it never got it to play properly..
It's been rotting now for years in a basement of a music shop in Bristol, hopefully never to see the light of day again.
I paid £35 for it in 1973, didn't have a clue what crap I had bought until a week later. The guy must have laugh his head off when I drove off with a big smile on my face :oops:

Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:22 am

It's strange to see that beastie again after a few years. I would hazard a guess that it is a primitive take on a pull release changer.The 2 pedals are so far apart that it would need a pair of brothel creepers (the old Teddy Boy shoes) to play them both at the same time. The one superb feature is that the guitar is ideally matched to a wood burning stove in the middle of a winter cold snap. :lol:

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:52 am

Finger.jpg

I've still got a changer finger from those plans :o The rest of the brass has been cut up to make other things :lol: most usefully for a (Telecaster) B-bender!
Post a reply