Top Three Steel Albums?

This is where you can rest a while and discuss anything - doesn't have to be steel guitar related!

Top Three Steel Albums?

Postby Danny Mitchell » Tue May 22, 2018 9:56 am

A remark that the estimable Ken Byng made inspired me to ask this question of y'all. What are your top three favourite steel albums? And why?
GFI Ultra keyless S10 4+5 Emmon's setup + Sigler, Li'l Izzy, Hilton volume pedal, Roland Cube 80gx, Joyo American Sound Pre-amp, Behringer VD400 Delay Pedal, Peterson Strobo Plus HD and a brace of bars, Ben's, Ezzee-Slide, Pearse, BJS, SIT nickel strings.
User avatar
Danny Mitchell
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:15 am

Re: Top Three Steel Albums?

Postby Danny Mitchell » Tue May 22, 2018 11:43 am

Okay, to get the ball rolling......there are so many great albums, that even I've heard, but these are three that I love, from soup to nuts!

1. Buck Reid - A Work In Progress (Incredible playing, great balance of material, can't stop listening to it :shock: )
2. Lloyd Green - Revisited (Not a wasted note, and beautiful accompaniment skill, and such a full tone)
3. Gary Carter - Gary Carter (First steel instrumental album I heard and it imprinted on me, like what happens to chickens :lol: . Great tone, intonation and a nice selection of tunes)

I'm waiting for the Sweethearts Of The Rodeo to come out in a downloadable format, so this could change. 8-)
GFI Ultra keyless S10 4+5 Emmon's setup + Sigler, Li'l Izzy, Hilton volume pedal, Roland Cube 80gx, Joyo American Sound Pre-amp, Behringer VD400 Delay Pedal, Peterson Strobo Plus HD and a brace of bars, Ben's, Ezzee-Slide, Pearse, BJS, SIT nickel strings.
User avatar
Danny Mitchell
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:15 am

Re: Top Three Steel Albums?

Postby Ken Byng » Tue May 22, 2018 3:58 pm

I'll take the baton Danny.

In no particular order;

Buddy Emmons - Black Album (aka Emmons Inc), Buck Reid - A Work In Progress, Steve Palousek - Let The Games Begin.

Just an aside - Buck is a really good mate, and at his house one time I was discussing his album with him and he told me that he had spent a load of prep time on it. I think it shows. My favourite track is Sour Dough.

It was very difficult to omit Lloyd's Revisited album, Mike Johnson's Almost Midnight plus Doug Jernigan's Uptown To Country. I've got hundreds of steel albums (vinyl and CD), so choosing 3 is not an easy task.
Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
User avatar
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 3367
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:46 pm
Location: Southampton, United Kingdom

Re: Top Three Steel Albums?

Postby Danny Mitchell » Tue May 22, 2018 10:43 pm

Interesting Ken. I'll be checking those titles out. :guitar:

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when you were having that chinwag with Buck. I don't have any favourites from his album, as yet, they are all still blowing my mind!
GFI Ultra keyless S10 4+5 Emmon's setup + Sigler, Li'l Izzy, Hilton volume pedal, Roland Cube 80gx, Joyo American Sound Pre-amp, Behringer VD400 Delay Pedal, Peterson Strobo Plus HD and a brace of bars, Ben's, Ezzee-Slide, Pearse, BJS, SIT nickel strings.
User avatar
Danny Mitchell
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 2210
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:15 am

Re: Top Three Steel Albums?

Postby Donny Johnston » Sun May 27, 2018 6:20 am

Chicken pickin : Russ Hicks & Jimmy Crawford
The Black Album : The Man
Any LLoyd Green album
Blanton D10, Justice s10, Fender Acoustasonic 150, 1 Brain, 2 Hands, 2 Knees, & 2 Feet.
Donny Johnston
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 2260
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:35 pm
Real Name: Donny Johnston


Return to Steel Guitar Cafe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron