Page 1 of 1

Is the original always the best version?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:13 pm
by Ken Byng
I came across this last year. I didn't realise that Phil Everly recorded the original version of The Air That I Breathe, which of course The Hollies had a big commercial hit with. I like both versions very much, and apparently The Hollies liked Phil's version so much when they heard it that they felt that they should record it too.

Phil's version is very stripped down production-wise in comparison to the Hollies version, and his voice is very plaintiff. I think I prefer the original but they are both great.

Re: Is the original always the best version?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:39 am
by Ken Byng
The word should have been plaintive. Darned auto pre-emptive text on my i-Phone - I keep forgetting to turn it off. :evil: :evil:

Re: Is the original always the best version?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:31 am
by Will C
That song has always been a big favourite of mine. I worked up a steel version of it a few years back, maybe I should dust it off, see how differently I would play it now I've learned a bit. This recording is a good illustration of how a good song still sounds good even without "big production".