This is where you can rest a while and discuss anything - doesn't have to be steel guitar related!
Post a reply

Re: 'Upper Fant Road' Part of our Life's tapestry !

Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:45 pm

I must add that nearly all of the photo's are what Eric gave me over the years,
we owe him a lot even if he was a pain in the arse on times !! :lol:
I'll put some more related photo's on this post during the next couple of weeks. :D :guitar:

Re: 'Upper Fant Road' Part of our Life's tapestry !

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:14 am

Well, after much soul - searching ( I found I ain't got one ! :D ) ,here just for Ken is the retail and
trade price list for ZB guitars from 1973, taken from the annuls of history, it should bring a tear
or two from some people's eyes ! :o :o
Attachments
phpXnIhQAAM.jpg

Re: 'Upper Fant Road' Part of our Life's tapestry !

Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:03 pm

Thanks Frank - brilliant to see. Obviously, Eric's prices used to fluctuate a little with the pound/dollar rate. When I worked for him it was as low as $1.51 to the pound and as high as 2 dollars or more to the pound. Eric told me that often the finance company would make more than he did out of the sale of a D10, if people bought it on finance (which invariably they did). No credit cards around in those days unfortunately.

My first D10 ZB at £832 included a ZB volume pedal. I earned £1500 a year from my day job in 1972, which was a decent salary then and 2 years before I turned pro. You can see that the guitar cost over half of my annual salary. By today's standard, pedal steels have not risen in price at the same level that UK wages have. Like most, I wish I still had my first and original blue ZB - it was a clunker but I loved it. :D

(PS - I am out with the Ed Nix Band this evening. I think you knew Ed from his regular excursions up to some of the Welsh C&W clubs).

Re: 'Upper Fant Road' Part of our Life's tapestry !

Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:02 pm

Hallo Ken,
Yes, I suppose they did fluctuate ( careful, careful !! :o ) price wise, I can't remember how much my
first Pro ZB cost, I shudder to think ! I actually swapped my SD -10 for a D-10, purple and inlaid with
mother-of-pearl, nice piece of kit, I sold it to a guy called Mansel up the Valleys not far from where we
live now, he still has it I believe.
Jeeez ! yes, I remember Ed Nix and Busted, that was many moons ago, have a good one Ken, speak soon.
Frank. Wales :D :guitar:
Post a reply