Is the original always the best version?

This is where you can rest a while and discuss anything - doesn't have to be steel guitar related!

Is the original always the best version?

Postby Ken Byng » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:13 pm

I came across this last year. I didn't realise that Phil Everly recorded the original version of The Air That I Breathe, which of course The Hollies had a big commercial hit with. I like both versions very much, and apparently The Hollies liked Phil's version so much when they heard it that they felt that they should record it too.

Phil's version is very stripped down production-wise in comparison to the Hollies version, and his voice is very plaintiff. I think I prefer the original but they are both great.
Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
User avatar
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 3367
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:46 pm
Location: Southampton, United Kingdom

Re: Is the original always the best version?

Postby Ken Byng » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:39 am

The word should have been plaintive. Darned auto pre-emptive text on my i-Phone - I keep forgetting to turn it off. :evil: :evil:
Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
User avatar
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 3367
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:46 pm
Location: Southampton, United Kingdom

Re: Is the original always the best version?

Postby Will C » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:31 am

That song has always been a big favourite of mine. I worked up a steel version of it a few years back, maybe I should dust it off, see how differently I would play it now I've learned a bit. This recording is a good illustration of how a good song still sounds good even without "big production".
St Ives, Cambridgeshire
User avatar
Will C
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Ramsey, Cambs
Real Name: Will Cowell


Return to Steel Guitar Cafe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest