This is where you can rest a while and discuss anything - doesn't have to be steel guitar related!
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:41 pm
Years ago I was discussing with Bobbe Seymour the lifting or moving a pedal steel without touching the alloy end plates with bare hands. The oils, salts and moisture from our hands can leave marks on polished that have to be polished out. Seymour said that pedal steels should be carried by the front and rear aprons. I told him that in the summer I use white cotton gloves and pick my steels up by the endplates. He laughed and said "Why didn't I think of that?"
These gloves can be bought on eBay very cheaply. £1.55 inc p&p. I keep a pair in my seat for the hot season.
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:08 am
Ken, were you ever involved with the Black & White Minstrels?
Apologies for the off topic and off colour post, you've got to be careful these days.
Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:44 pm
I found myself worrying about condensation damaging the finish so now practice wearing this.
Seriously though it’s interesting how different folk are. The appearance of my instruments is way down the list and I can’t relax properly with a guitar until the ‘newness’ thing is over. It’s only a tool and interesting that the dearest Fender strats you can buy now are the ‘distressed’ ones that emulate properly old ones. A used thing is always nicer IMO.
Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:50 pm
Haddock wrote:I. A used thing is always nicer IMO.
Surely this would never apply to the condom, or the sheet of Izal? Heaven forfend
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:05 pm
No doubt It will amuse you that I Googled the ‘Sheet of Izal’ expecting some ancient artefact only to discover Mr Mitchell was talking shit!
Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:39 pm
LOL !! you two crack me up
Use easy weezy (Skid proof) toilet paper! wipe your A%$£ the Gentleman's way.....
Now behave yourselves!!
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:36 pm
Fair play - for those people who are happy to see their guitars age and naturally deteriorate with time, they should completely ignore or stay off this thread as I do with theirs.
I'm of the school of thought that each of my guitars (steel or 6-string) has cost quite a few of my hard earned shekels, and I want to try to keep them in as good order as I can. Later on I, or more likely my missus, will have to offload my instruments and amps. Potential buyers are more likely to buy them if they have been reasonably looked after. Even though they have been extensively played out live, my steels are all in A1 nick. The polished aluminium end plates, pedal bars, levers and various other metal parts are all unscratched, untarnished and well......immaculate. I had my 35 year old Sho~Bud completely refurbed as it was showing a lot of wear and tear caused by roadies manhandling it. Likewise my Zum was suffering from lifting mica. I had a brand new lacquer body made for it.
I'm a fully paid up member of the shiny club, and that's why I'm happy to wear cotton gloves to transport my pedal steels on stage by their end plates.
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:12 pm
Ken, I was in no way trying to diss your thread, in fact I think you have a valid point with the gloves our precious instruments deserve to be cherished and the idea has merit , I merely saw the thread descending and thought I might Bottom it out so to speak, of course you are right again and now I understand the rules of the game I will avoid your posts in the same way you are good enough to avoid mine. Thank you for the correction.
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:46 pm
Ken Byng wrote:Fair play - for those people who are happy to see their guitars age and naturally deteriorate with time, they should completely ignore or stay off this thread as I do with theirs.
Guilty as charged, Ken. Consider me ignorant and gone.
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:59 pm
Under no circumstance do you disappear Mr Mitchell!........................
Ken, you are obviously in a position financially to address any issue should it present itself.
To judge?
I've only been involved with aluminium in sheet, billet, extrusion and cast form for 50yrs +
so what would I know?
In my youth I polished extrusions for the sides of buses, many hours with fine steel wool, Brasso and paper! When sent out you could see your face on it!.... true story!!!
Alloy can always be brought back to its original beauty.
However!
I can understand the thought that it should be treated with care, with or without gloves!
So if it works ......... don't knock it if you ain't tried it!
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
phpBB Mobile / SEO by Artodia.