Update on condition

This is for steel guitar news and announcements.

Update on condition

Postby Jif » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:39 pm

Hi, thought I would give an update on progress of my current condition etc.

In January/February I underwent a stem cell gathering procedure and about 6 weeks ago I underwent a stem cell transplant. The main treatments went very well and my blood and bone marrow have almost recovered from zero to normal blood counts on red and white blood cells. They reckon another 4 weeks should see me more or less back to normal.

Unfortunately in the 2nd week of the transplant when my white blood cell count was at zero, (no immune system), I got an infection and my system went berserk. I was transferred into an HDU ward, (High Dependency Unit), where they filled me up with fluids and anti-biotics with close monitoring of my systems, I had about a dozen cables and tubes attached to me! It was a really difficult couple of days and I came close to bidding this world goodbye, however I recovered after a few days and transferred back to my room in the cancer unit. Unfortunately, they put so much fluids into me that my legs were extremely swollen, also my testes and penis did the same, like something out of the Elephant man :lol:

They spent the last couple of weeks getting rid of all the excess fluids and this is almost fixed, I can actually see my ankles. They decided that I had been stable enough over a period of time to let me go home, I got home yesterday after spending about 5 weeks in hospital. It was such a release, sleeping in my own bed etc.

Just taking it easy this week and will start to build my body back up next week. I've been in a lot of pain and they quadrupled my painkillers dose, so a lot of time I'm pretty much out of it but that'll get better as I heal.

Next I start bone repair treatments and hope my bone damage will get back to normal over the coming year. Can't play much at the moment but this will get better as the year progresses. I have to get all my Covid shots again and all my childhood vaccinations as the chemo I had as part of the transplant wiped them out. So I'm in full isolation atm and will probably be for at least another 6 months.

Anyway, I'm now in full remission and feeling a lot better overall as each day passes. So feeling optimistic that I should be able to start leading a normal life again early next year. It's been a long hard slog but I'm over the worst now, fingers crossed, with no more chemo planned for the near future.

All the best to you all, I continue to keep in touch with regular reading of the forum, not been able to post much which is just as well as I'd be gibbering more than usual!
"Nothing can ever be wrong about music" - D Allman

"There is no bad music, only music you don't like" - Me

YTube- http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFqsA-Ahlgr2Z2sw71WJHGg/videos

SCloud - https://soundcloud.com/just-jef/tracks
Jif
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Re: Update on condition

Postby Mcneilwaeasteel » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:52 pm

Geoff
To quote your phrase “ if it sounds good, it is good “ and this good news is really what everyone has been waiting for, hopefully this is the start of a full recovery, regarding your comment “I'd be gibbering more than usual!”
Welcome home, as your in the right place, so gibber away to your hearts content!
Best wishes
Robert
No longer slummin, I’ve got a Mullen and a damn good amp as well,
they’ll be well played, if not played well, seat time alone must tell!
Mcneilwaeasteel
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Uncle Roy » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:18 pm

Geoff, so happy to know you are back home recovering and hope this home situation speeds up recovery time.
Throughly enjoyed going through your videos on YouTube ,love your playing and your talented video work.
Great viewing and given me something to smile about.
Best wishes my friend.
Uncle Roy

Postby Danny Mitchell » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:28 pm

Geoff, I'm truly heartened to hear this. What a trial to go through. Your positive, straight ahead attitude is incredible, and I'm sure that's been a big contributor to getting to where you now are. Keep it up.
Here's to 2023, a complete recovery and a seat, back behind that shiny beast!
GFI Ultra keyless S10 4+5 Emmon's setup + Sigler, Li'l Izzy, Hilton volume pedal, Roland Cube 80gx, Joyo American Sound Pre-amp, Behringer VD400 Delay Pedal, Peterson Strobo Plus HD and a brace of bars, Ben's, Ezzee-Slide, Pearse, BJS, SIT nickel strings.
Danny Mitchell
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:53 pm

That is good news Geoff, pleased to hear it.
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Malcolm » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:53 am

Great news Geoff, keep on getting better. :)
MSA Millennium SD1O, GK MB200,Sica 12 and Telonics 15 speakers , Joyo American Sound pre amp, Jay Ganz Straight Ahead 500w class D Amp, Hilton pedal, Peterson tuners,Digitech RP150,Scott Dixon seat/ flight case.
Malcolm
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Jif » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:07 pm

Thanks guys for your kind comments, really appreciate it. Hopefully that's the completion of all the really nasty stuff and I can now just concentrate of getting myself fit and healthy again.

Really missing playing , I've been doing a lot of stuff in my head, thinking about what sort of style and arrangements I want to experiment with once I'm playing again. I'd like to do more composing and arranging of original material, I reckon by the time I'm playing again I'll be bursting with creative energy, so doing preparation now for that time in the future.

The ironic thing is I had just upgraded my studio, new 88 note midi keyboard, bought Cubase Pro 10.5, got a little unit that plugs into USB which acts as an interface to a volume pedal, plus an pile of other stuff just before I was diagnosed and became unable to play. So it's all been sitting for over a year now waiting to be used, very frustrating. Not to mention all the work I did on my new copedent which I haven't been able to experiment with or use.

I guess that's life, the best laid plans of mice and men & all that. The one good thing I'm taking from it is just how precious life is and the value of friendship and support. It has also deepened my love for Janice who has just been amazing throughout, I'm so lucky to have her.

Jif
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Gary James Peters » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:50 pm

I was just thinking about how you might be doing this morning...so now I know!! I echo Danny, your attitude to what sounds to me like a living hell is incredible, an example to us all. Keep getting better, and look forward to hearing/seeing you doing what you do so well again soon.

Gary
Williams 700 Series U12 7 x 5 Keyless.
Gary James Peters
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Jif » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:28 pm

Thanks Gary, the support from members on the site has been very welcome and lifts the spirits when things get dark.

People often say it's brave of you etc the way you are dealing with it, but for me it is a case of I really have no choice but to take it on and put myself through all the treatments, the alternative is to just give up and let my bones disintegrate. The last 6 weeks with the stem cell transplant have definitely been the worst part but now it's done I can look forward to an easier time from now on.

We've just booked a cottage up in the Applecross area for the first week in July, so something to look forward to and will give us time and space to recover from what has been a horrendous year.

Jif
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Gary James Peters » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:44 pm

I'll do a version of Albatross for you (ha!)

Maybe I will

G
Williams 700 Series U12 7 x 5 Keyless.
Gary James Peters
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Next

Return to News