Page 1 of 2

A bit of Carter Starter help… grub screw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:41 pm
by Rick B
I'm trying to help out a buddy with a bit of fettling on his Carter Starter. Not a drop of oil since it was built!
Much better now. And managed to firm up the LKL stop with a bigger flathead screw too.
Somehow, though, the LKR E lower mechanism had a SNAPPED grub screw. I can get it working for his next gig by robbing the screw from the RKR, which he obviously uses much less… but does anyone have any tips on where I could get a replacement grub screw?
Any ideas much appreciated!

Rick

Re: A bit of Carter Starter help… grub screw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:31 pm
by robbo t
how about screw makers if you have the size you need
theres plenty of them on line
also some car spares shops do grub screws

Re: A bit of Carter Starter help… grub screw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:20 pm
by Rick B
Thanks Robert. I just removed the RKR screw and to my disbelief that one fell in half as well. I've been racking my brains as to something I might substitute to no avail, and as I can't get to a good motor factors this week I think the poor chap has no steel guitar.

Re: A bit of Carter Starter help… grub screw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:48 pm
by JohnDavisStringsHere
I have some grubby screws but not sure what size ..how long... anything "special" about them???

Re: A bit of Carter Starter help… grub screw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:52 pm
by JohnDavisStringsHere
:? totally confused how grubbies can "fall in half" they are a lot tougher than the ally they screw into can you post pic? or phone and explain 01480 393900

Re: A bit of Carter Starter help… grub screw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:07 pm
by Rick B
Totally mystified as well John… they snapped at the bottom of the allen key recess. BOTH of them. Never seen owt like it.

Seem to be approx 12mm long, 14 threads per 10mm, approx 3mm outside diameter…

Terrible pic (terrible phone)...

Image

Re: A bit of Carter Starter help… grub screw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:45 pm
by Will C
Looks like a non-metric grubscrew - the thread pitch doesn't match M3 or M3.5. With an internal hex recess, right? Any half-decent ironmonger's shop should do them. They come in various lengths, just specify the right length, but take it along to match diam and thread. I only have metric grubscrews here or I'd send you a couple.

Re: A bit of Carter Starter help… grub screw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:59 pm
by Rick B
Cheers. I'll try the local hardware place tomorrow.
Of course one bodge would be to use a very tiny bolt that clears the hole and to put a locking nut on each side. I'll try to find one.

Re: A bit of Carter Starter help… grub screw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:31 am
by U_twelve
Carter Starter.. Let me guess, American guitar ;) hence Unified thread thread. Looks to me like about 1/2" long by 5/32" & looks like more than 14 threads showing my guess would be 16 ergo 32 TPI. Possibly an 8-32 grub screw??? Common as muck in USA but available in UK. If you could get away with a headed screws these will be easier to find although you can get Stainless grub screws here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-40-6-32-8-3 ... 3f1016d972
(If my memory is still good then I think you could use a 5/32 Whitworth as a alternative. Not easy to get hold of now that we've been metric all these years)
Maybe someone on the US forum would be able to give you the actual size? Cos' despite what you may have heard, size does matter :D

Re: A bit of Carter Starter help… grub screw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:06 am
by JohnDavisStringsHere
The ones I have are only 6.5mm long and a hair over 3mm across the diameter but they are whats used on USA steels as they are remnants from Eric Snowballs shop. If you think they will help give me address where to send and I will put a few in the post for you>>>>


:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: