Looking to buy pedal steel. What's out there under £2000?

Steel guitar items wanted

Looking to buy pedal steel. What's out there under £2000?

Postby Andreas » Sat May 04, 2024 10:41 am

I'm living in Cardiff and I don't drive, so would definitely need it shipped. But interested to see what my options are.
Andreas

Re: Looking to buy pedal steel. What's out there under £200

Postby E9 newbie » Sat May 04, 2024 10:12 pm

Seen my ad on here for the Bennett at £1200 ? I really wanted cash on collection, but if you want to take on all costs, risk and responsibility for shipping, I might go with it. …… BUT… I would not allow any couriers to collect, until money is irrevocably and irreversibly in my account . For more pictures, go to Facebook and look at the “U.K. only pedal steel wanted and for sale” group.
Messg me if interested ?
Regards TJC
E9 newbie

Postby Andreas » Sun May 05, 2024 8:48 am

Thank you for the offer, it is good price, but I think I'm after something with more pedals/knee levers.
Andreas

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Sun May 05, 2024 10:26 am

I have a Bennett 12 string Uni with (I think) 7 pedals And 5 levers, at the moment it is with Ron Bennett for a service and set up it is a keyless model so a little shorter and lighter than the keyed guitars.
I was hopeing to sell it for around 1650 but that figure is dependant on what Ron charges me for his work.
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Andreas » Sun May 05, 2024 10:46 am

That sounds interesting, I'll send you private message.
Andreas

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Sun May 05, 2024 12:42 pm

No problem to send I also have an Emmons student model 3 plus 4 levers about the same price
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Andreas » Sun May 05, 2024 2:48 pm

Great, can you send me some pictures? My email is [email protected]. Or send me message here, whatever is easier for you.
Andreas

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Sun May 05, 2024 3:52 pm

My advice is do not buy by post unless it is from an internationally recognised steel Guitar manufacturer You need to see what you are buying and also see it being played or you will regret it You need to learn a little bit about it before you jump in at the deep end.
Even an entry level guitar is a lot of your hard-earned So jump on a train and come and have a look.
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby simon_f3 » Mon May 06, 2024 9:38 am

JohnDavisStringsHere wrote: My advice is do not buy by post unless it is from an internationally recognised steel Guitar manufacturer You need to see what you are buying and also see it being played or you will regret it You need to learn a little bit about it before you jump in at the deep end.
Even an entry level guitar is a lot of your hard-earned So jump on a train and come and have a look.

Andreas, I would thoroughly recommend a visit to John Davis's house of steel guitars! As John rightly says, there's quite a lot that is worth knowing before you part with a couple of grand, and having a quick try of a few guitars will give you a huge amount of information in a very short time. I made the mistake of buying a pedal steel before trying anything out, and although it was cheap it did end up costing me a couple of hundred quid in the end when I sold it on to buy a better one. So my advice is that it's definitely worth the price of a train ticket to try some out before committing to a purchase!

Good luck with the quest - it's a slippery slope mind you, and can lead to immense highs and lows, plus some very late nights trying to get combo moves of hands and feet and knees perfected... ;-D
Simon 'Sid' Farley
simon_f3
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Andreas » Mon May 06, 2024 10:34 am

Thanks. I did look into this, and I agree that would be the best way, but it's really difficult journey from Cardiff. It's 8-9 hour round trip and would cost me couple hundred pounds.

So I think at the moment I'm still looking to buy by post , unless something more local turns up. I'm metal worker and build guitars in my spare time, so I'm hoping that I can deal with the problems when needed. But I completely agree with your point.
Andreas

Return to Wanted