Page 1 of 2
PAVILION THEATRE

Posted:
Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:50 pm
by Donny Johnston
IN THE PAVILION THEATRE IN GLASGOW, FRIDAY 7TH AND SATURDAY 8TH NOVEMBER. 1 SHOW FRIDAY & 2 SHOWS SATURDAY. FIRST TIME OUT FOR A WHILE, NO PRESSURE, ONLY TWO THOUSAND SYDNEY DEVINE FANS.

Re: PAVILION THEATRE

Posted:
Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:37 pm
by nevada150
Good luck Donny,
If you play like you did at the NESGF in Thrnton Wattlas you'll be fine.
Regards.
Keith
Re: PAVILION THEATRE

Posted:
Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:45 pm
by Danny Mitchell
Bummer, Donny! I'm gigging on both nights(doh!) I can't believe I'm missing out on a bit of 'Steak and Kidney',of which I am partial to, accompanied by my 'Guru'(double doh).
I'll catch the next one.
Re: PAVILION THEATRE

Posted:
Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:10 pm
by bob adams
Donny, just make sure you give that Williams a right good polish before you go so that the flying knickers slide off quick and don’t interfere with your licks!

Re: PAVILION THEATRE

Posted:
Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:34 pm
by Ken Byng
Er...........who's Sidney Devine???
Re: PAVILION THEATRE

Posted:
Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:40 am
by bob adams
Goodness Kenneth! Oh Kenneth! Who is Sidney! I’m shocked!!!!!!!!!!!
Like!..... Who is Chas & Dave!? .............. Who is Danny O’Donnell!? ........ and.............Who is Tom Jones!!??
As for the Pavilion Glasgow!! A Legend!
Those will be two nights of real good country music. get in there Donny Boy! Good for you!

Re: PAVILION THEATRE

Posted:
Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:54 am
by Ken Byng
Well I hope that Donny has a good couple of gigs of course, but I still haven't heard of Sidney D. I take it that he is a Scottish singer, but he can't ever work south of the border or appear on the haunted fishtank. He is hardly a household name down here in the sunny south coast, unlike Chas and Dave - (I know the latter from his days with the Tumbleweeds) and the Jones boy. Daniel O'Donnell is more known among our Irish community. I did a straw poll on the dog and bone last night with my mates and not one of them had heard of Mr Sidney. We are musical ignoramuses obviously. No, hold on, I have heard of Nathan Carter, and wifey and I are going to see him and his band next Sunday evening.
Re: PAVILION THEATRE

Posted:
Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:22 am
by Uncle Roy
Ken, I thought you were joking maybe you still are, Sidney is a Scottish country music legend. We saw him a couple of times in Bournemouth , once with the Boxcar Willie tour. The man has been on the country scene for donkey years.
His long time steelie was Dougie Stevens. Our Donny has also played his gigs before.
Re: PAVILION THEATRE

Posted:
Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:39 am
by Ken Byng
I just googled Mr Devine Roy, and he appears to be very big (if not huge) in Scotland with a huge discography list. I played on a number of Wembley Festivals years back and never saw him on them, and have never spotted him on English TV. I have obviously led a very sheltered existence. I was in a duo in the early 80's with a Scottish singer, and he never ever mentioned Sidney.
Just checked out a youtube clip of Mr Devine (Two Little Orphans) - and prefer Karl Denver from that ilk of singing, who I did see and played on the same bill as him a number of times. Mr Denver was a great character and made me laugh in the dressing room on more than one occasion. Plus he liked a dram or three.
Re: PAVILION THEATRE

Posted:
Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:05 am
by Zumbilly(Murdoch)
I am pretty sure Sidney charges the band entrance money for His shows.
He had/has a huge following mainly in the central belt of Scotland,His gigs were packed out with Blue rinse ladies and zimmer oonians,His band "Legend" were pretty good,they covered all the Country songs and Sid was a showman.
Personally I never liked His style or His treatment of many great songs.
His TV show was a joke which made Me boak.
However as Donny says,there will be a couple of thousand folk at the shows and there will be a good atmosphere.
Have a good time Donny.