Details of where you can see steel players live
Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:42 pm
http://www.lakesidesurrey.co.uk/eventdetails.php?Country-Music-Taster-78We've been offered the closing spot at the annual Country Music Taster at Lakeside (where they do the darts!). Does anyone know this gig? We are a little ramshackle bar band, no drummer, that does fairly straight up classic country covers (Merle, Hank, Gram and a few obscurities) - i.e. a long way from the hats and line dancing scene. I feel like a) we might be complete fish out of water and b) all the bookers who are there for us to impress will have gone home (we'd be on at 10:30 Sunday night). In out favour we have a gen-U-ine american singer and a very talented fiddle player. On the down side our backing singer can't make it and the bassist just left so we'd be using a dep. I'm extremely average on steel guitar and likely to hit the odd clam which is fine down the pub but this is a big room and the other acts look quite slick. Could be a few red faces.
What do you think? Golden opportunity to get wider exposure on the cabaret/club scene? Or a slightly depressing night playing Bartender's Blues to the sweeper uppers?
Jonathan
Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:43 pm
Go for it!! Give it your best shot it's the only way we get better... Nothing like Having to do it for bringing you on
Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:04 pm
We've all done those kinda gigs. Secret is to play like you're so great they have to listen. And don't worry about steel guitar, an octave slide and a train noise lets 'em know how good you are!
Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:54 pm
I've done that gig a few times. There is normally a PA provided with some backline. In actual fact people do tend to stay until the bitter end, but the are usually a bit pissed or tired by that time. Enjoy it as JD said, it is a good gig and good exposure.
Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:12 pm
Thanks guys, it's a bit up in the air now as we may have lost two band members! Also we're not sure if there's any pay. I wasn't expecting much as it's sold on the old 'exposure' deal but apparently nothing's been offered (it's £11 a ticket so I find that a bit hard to swallow). Some expenses would be nice so I think we're holding out. Anyway, thanks for the info and encouragement, I 'm sure it's worth dong if we can get ourselves together. I'll let you know if it happens.
Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:09 pm
I played there the night it burnt down, years ago princess Margret was there
Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:47 pm
Showcasing? Total rip off, however! I'm sure a lot of us have been there.
Jon, just go and enjoy yourselves, have a ball, nowt might come from the organisers but give it some welly and the punters will respond, that will be reward enough. If they dont pay you, nick something on the way out.
Dave
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
phpBB Mobile / SEO by Artodia.