Wembley Country Music Festivals

So how did the love of steel start in the UK

Re: Wembley Country Music Festivals

Postby Ken Byng » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:06 pm

I don't usually do retrospective looks back in time very often, but I thought that period when Mervyn Conn put on those big shows was great for one reason. It got country music out into the British masses. Steel guitar became very popular as a result, and a must have for most UK country bands. I used to play 7 nights a week back in those days, and there were great circuits in the West Country, Wales, North East and Scotland for those bands who liked to tour.

The country scene nowadays has gone stale, with solo and duo acts playing along to full instrument backing tracks. Line dancing has replaced the many clubs who ran concert venues, where the audiences would actually sit and listen to performers. That is where I enjoyed my music the most, not playing to folks dressed up as cowboys and Indians whose knowledge of country music could be written on the back of a postage stamp.

Rant over :lol:

OK, Mervyn Conn may not have been everyone's cup of tea, but because of him I got to see loads of major US country artists live on package shows the like of which we will never see again. It gave me the opportunity to play festivals in stadiums that were a sheer joy to do. On one show we followed Billie Jo Spears and were in turn followed by the great Bill Monroe. We had Billie Jo, Tammy Wynette, Box Car Willie and others come back to our hotel after the show had finished for a party. Life didn't get any better than that. 8-)
Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Tony Smart » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:22 pm

Just seen an interview with Mervyn Conn on Showcase TV (previously The Unexplained Channel) on FreeSat. He's trying to organise another Wembley Festival together with one in Switzerland and Germany. His book comes out on Oct.28 and part of the proceeds to go to Children in Need.

Showcase TV has quite a bit of Country and Irish. Try this site for Country Music listings on Satellite
http://freespace.virgin.net/dave.naylor/2radiotv.htm.
Tony Smart
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Donny Johnston » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:35 am

I played at Wembley in 1979, I remember Basil playing the Springfield, and I met Gordon Huntley for the first time, I was with the Scottish band: " Legend " I was sitting alone in the rehearsal room practicing a steel break for Barbara Fairchilds version of Crazy, Gordon came into the room and asked if he could be of any assistance, and we spent a pleasant 1/2 hr running through it. We also backed Boxcar Willie, Vernon Oxford,and Dottsie, whatever happened to her she was really good. Donny
Blanton D10, Justice s10, Fender Acoustasonic 150, 1 Brain, 2 Hands, 2 Knees, & 2 Feet.
Donny Johnston
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Brian King » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:19 pm

This has bought up a load of memories from the past.It was where i first saw a pedal steel,what is that guy doing wiggling his legs and moving his feet.
1975 i actually appeared on the stage with Haz Eliot and Feeling.after we won a competition during the day in one of the tents outside.
I can honestly say it was quite nerve racking at the time but is a good memory. :D
Wembley Festival.jpg

Sorry about state of photo it was taken by someone in the audience.i can just be seen on the left.Cheers.
Brian King

Postby Uncle Roy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Yes Brian I can remember that well.
Uncle Roy

Postby Uffe » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:04 pm

Hi Brian. I tried to make your picture a lttle bit more visible.
Regards
Uffe
Wembley%20Festival.jpg
Uffe

Postby David Hartley » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:53 pm

Tony Smart....

I thought the date is set already...

After a 20-year break, the pioneering and much loved International Festival of Country Music returns to Wembley Arena on Sunday, February 26th, 2012. The stellar line-up features the very best in country, roots and bluegrass music.
CD's and individual tracks available to download from iTunes and CD Baby.
Email [email protected] for tuitional material and lessons.
David Hartley
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby David Hartley » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:56 pm

David Hartley
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Tony Smart » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:29 pm

Dave H.
I think you've missed that my post is over a year old.

Incidentally, his book is a good read - gives the other side of the story.
Tony Smart
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby David Hartley » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:48 pm

Tony. Ha. Oh, yes, so it is...
And I can now see it was over 3 months before you got a reply.
I will come back in 6 months, and see if there's any new posts then.....
David Hartley
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

PreviousNext

Return to History of the Pedal Steel in the UK