Looking back over my career.

So how did the love of steel start in the UK

Looking back over my career.

Postby Basil Henriques » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:37 am

As a country pedal steel player I never rated myself any more than average, my speciality up to this very part of my life is "Hollywood Hawaiian" and GAS, the Great American Songbook.
If I shuffled off this mortal coil tomorrow I would consider the epitome of my style and copedent would be a mere half a dozen of my recordings and at the top of the list would be Body & Soul, and South-sea Island Magic.
This version of Body and Soul:-->

South Sea Island Magic..

You go to My Head..

Sleepy Lagoon..

All in my A7 copedent.

This is the only E9th recording by myself I ever considered reasonably acceptable.
Swedish Rhadpsody...
A Home recording where I used my synths and transferred the original string score to my Roland system, and changed the electric guitar part to my Tricone Resonator guitar.

The string part was written originally for a Foster & Allen recording and their manager Sen. Donie Cassidy asked me to make it a steel guitar instrumental for an album of mine we were working on so we used the original recording with the ~~RTE Concert Orchestra Strings led by Audrey Park and I replaced the Mick Foster Accordion with my pedal steel. Done in Midland sound studios in Athlone on an ex Hank Marvin desk and 24 track Ampex. Part of it played on my Ibanez Les Paul Studio guitar. (Paul Brewer engineered that session)
Swedish Rhapsody...
Steelies do it without fretting
CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>Image
Basil Henriques
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Location: Trevelmond, Liskeard, Cornish Riviera, United Kingdom

Re: Looking back over my career.

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:35 am

Baz, Looking back over your career I recall one of the 1st times I met you, My friend Mick Mckay Had a job with the house band At the Galtimore Playing traditional Irish music Jigs reels and horn pipes And when he wanted a night off I would go and play on steel guitar With them, On this particular night I had set my gear up on the stage and gone for a drink Only to come back and find that someone had moved my black Emmons To centre stage Where the show band would set up twas Only in the process of moving it back that I noticed the pair of mole grips that was substituting for a knee lever...... I was incredibly impressed with how well that worked... Oh and my guitar was exactly where I'd left it...
Much as I love the Hawaiian music My preference would be your version of body and soul.
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Return to History of the Pedal Steel in the UK