Anyone seen any of these two?

So how did the love of steel start in the UK

Re: Anyone seen any of these two?

Postby JayVeeGee » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:56 pm

Hi Danny ~ Yeah, "incredible" was what I thought when I spotted it on Facebook last night!
It was posted by James Wolf on the 'Pedal Steel Guitar Advice Tips and Tricks' page on Facebook.
I've only got about 3 or 4 photos of that steel (no digital cameras/phones back in the 1980s!) and I have no photos of the 'gubbins' of the guitar so I was very pleased to see 9 fairly detailed photos on the Craigslist ad. I've now saved all these photos.
I had forgotten how I had attached the pedals to the pedal bar until last night! Each pedal was 'hinged' into its own block of wood and each block of wood in turn was inserted inside the "U" shaped pedal bar. I had also used a very basic system for adjusting the length of the pedal rods (but it worked!) and that can also be seen in this photo >
Walnut  7.jpg
JayVeeGee

Postby Danny Mitchell » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:20 pm

Jim, that's fantastic. You must've been one of those kids that could actually make things when you got a Meccano Set for Xmas. Mine's just got stoorie on top of the wardrobe.
GFI Ultra keyless S10 4+5 Emmon's setup + Sigler, Li'l Izzy, Hilton volume pedal, Roland Cube 80gx, Joyo American Sound Pre-amp, Behringer VD400 Delay Pedal, Peterson Strobo Plus HD and a brace of bars, Ben's, Ezzee-Slide, Pearse, BJS, SIT nickel strings.
Danny Mitchell
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby JayVeeGee » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:29 pm

Hey Danny ~ how did you know I had a Meccano set !!!

I've always been a bit of a tinkerer, everything from a basic Meccano set to a treehouse in my youth.
JayVeeGee

Postby Willie Gamble » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:15 am

Hi Jim, I have just had a look at your creation, it looks great, did you machine all the bellcranks etc. was the changer imported or made by your own fair hand? I'll tell you what Jim, mechanically, it looks as though it could give some other manufacturers a good run for their money. Clever guy indeed.
I hope all the Gorries are safe and well.
Asleep at the steel
Willie Gamble
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby JayVeeGee » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:16 am

Hi Willie,

Everything you see on that guitar (with a few exceptions***) were, I'd like to say 'machined' by me but nothing was machined as I have no engineering machinery. Back then when I built that one it was done with the use of drill bits, a hacksaw, files and a tap & die set. . The only thing I had back then that was in any way related to 'machinery' was a vertical drill stand into which an electric drill could be clamped. I DID regard that as an essential piece of equipment as so many holes in a PSG HAVE to be true.
All 30 components of the changer were hand made (10 bridge fingers; 10 raising fingers & 10 lowering fingers) as were the bell cranks and knee levers. On close inspection, it's obvious that these parts didn't come out of a factory or a machine shop, but they're all perfectly functional.

I should also mention the nut rollers. They may be small parts, but trying to create them was one BIG job! Trying to make a hole in the exact centre of that brass rod without machinery is a very tricky job. I needed 10 rollers but there were many more than 10 rollers attempted before I got enough acceptable examples.

The only ***exceptions were the pickup, the fretboard and the machine heads. The legs were chromed wardrobe hanging rails from B & Q (or back then it may have been called 'Dodge City'?) and they each had a piece of threaded rod epoxied in, to screw into the humungous nuts I had welded onto the corners of the endplates. The endplates were 3/16" mild steel welded into shape -- but none of the welding was done by me . . . I got someone who knows about welding to do that! I got the endplates nickel plated to help keep them looking reasonable and fairly rust-free.

Right now, number 5 is about 80% complete and I still have no machinery except an inexpensive (I don't want to say "cheap"!) drill press from Aldi and a bandsaw in which I've fitted a metal cutting blade. I'm so happy to have a bandsaw as there is so much metal cutting to be done, and previously all of it had to be done with a hacksaw -- hard and tedious work!
(Oh . . . and I'm still struggling with them pesky nut rollers!)

JayVeeGee

Postby Danny Mitchell » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:38 pm

Jim, having read this excellent, detailed reply to Willie's post, two thoughts sprang into what's left of my mind....

It would seem there's a level of tenacity and skill, that the likes of me can only wonder at (but if you're wanting anything lifted, I'm your man). Develop that resourcefulness further, and you get a wee car driving about on Mars :shock:

The other thing being the mention of 'Dodge City'. This made me think that the owners of 'Dodge City ' and those of that other, now defunct company 'Texas', must've been, like me, raised on a Western diet of Davy Crockett, The Lone Ranger and Range Rider, to name but a few gems of those halcyon days.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your labours, the pragmatically named, No.5.
GFI Ultra keyless S10 4+5 Emmon's setup + Sigler, Li'l Izzy, Hilton volume pedal, Roland Cube 80gx, Joyo American Sound Pre-amp, Behringer VD400 Delay Pedal, Peterson Strobo Plus HD and a brace of bars, Ben's, Ezzee-Slide, Pearse, BJS, SIT nickel strings.
Danny Mitchell
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby JayVeeGee » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:53 pm

AH Danny! ~ "Number 5" . . . that sounds like a good name for it!
(In another thread, Richard Burton said "I built 7 pedal steel guitars, but then came to my senses" so, it looks like I've got a way to go!)

Once it's finished, and sometime after lockdown, I'll bring it along to Gartcosh as I'd like to hear what it sounds like being played by some real steel players.

Like you, I was also raised on The Lone Ranger, The Range Rider and that other one you didn't mention - The Cisco Kid played by an actor who had a Scottish-Mexican sounding name ~ Duncan Renaldo!
JayVeeGee

Postby Danny Mitchell » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:22 pm

JayVeeGee wrote:Once it's finished, and sometime after lockdown, I'll bring it along to Gartcosh as I'd like to hear what it sounds like being played by some real steel players

That sounds like a really interesting idea, Jim, for a sort of 'Show & Tell' segment of Gartcosh meeting.

As for The Cisco Kid (superb, btw).....I'll call you, and raise you a Hopalong Cassidy and a Have Gun-Will Travel!
Danny Mitchell
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby JayVeeGee » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:33 pm

Danny Mitchell wrote:
As for The Cisco Kid (superb, btw).....I'll call you, and raise you a Hopalong Cassidy and a Have Gun-Will Travel!

I didn't think you were that old, Danny!
Then there was "Cheyenne" but that was a bit later.
JayVeeGee

Postby Mcneilwaeasteel » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:38 am

How'dy partners
When you two " Cowboys " stop reminiscing about your misspent youth and return back to the topic mentioned in the original post Jim can get back to work with newfound vigour. :roll:
Meanwhile I've just sent Jim a PM to get him back on " the road to Laramie " again! :P
Hi Ho Silver Away clip clop, clip clop! :lol: :lol:
No longer slummin, I’ve got a Mullen and a damn good amp as well,
they’ll be well played, if not played well, seat time alone must tell!
Mcneilwaeasteel
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

PreviousNext

Return to History of the Pedal Steel in the UK