Page 1 of 1

ZB student halfway to resurrection

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:10 pm
by JohnDavisStringsHere
This ol ZB is what I spent last night messing with...... not yet figured if it was worth it.......



:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

Re: ZB student halfway to resurrection

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:10 pm
by Zebedee
John,
Thats my old ZB student.

Just to clarify, in your video you mention how hard it is to press the pedals.

When I owned it, I installed helper springs, which made it play like butter, but sometime between 1991 and now, the springs have been removed, unfortunately.

Re: ZB student halfway to resurrection

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:45 am
by JohnDavisStringsHere
Hi Richard, thanks for the input, Well this guitar is never going to be a "Looker" but the tone is good and how nice it would be to play with the helper springs replaced ..... trouble is, I would have no idea how or where to fit them..... I think its a job for the spring man ? how are you fixed ???? :) ;)


:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

Re: ZB student halfway to resurrection

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:23 pm
by Jimmy Gibson
They don`t come with helper spring John, only small springs that hook into the cross straps and screwed under tension into the body i expect RB did the mod himself and fitted extra helper springs, because he is clever. :D they make great sounding little steels and can play real nice if set up right. Good luck in getting it sorted.




Jimmy.

Re: ZB student halfway to resurrection

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:01 am
by Zebedee
John,
I just hook one end of a bit of mig welding wire (it's about 1 millimetre diameter) into the front raise hole (arrowed) on the changer, then run the wire down the length of the steel, till it gets clear of all the gubbins, and hook a spring to the other end.
You may need to make a bracket, screwed into whatever holes are available, at the far end of the steel (under the headstock) to hook the helper spring to.

The mig wire is easily available, any garage/repair shop will have loads of it, just ask and they'll probably give you some from the end of the reel.

Re: ZB student halfway to resurrection

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:33 am
by Jimmy Gibson
There you go John, as easy as that, Richard is a treasure of good idea's. And a clever Chap ..


Jimmy.

Re: ZB student halfway to resurrection

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:54 am
by JohnDavisStringsHere
Thanks to both for the input, Richard I was thinking an anchor point like on a push pull to give some adjustment to tension?Also wonder what type of spring best suited to the job as its not a very great deal of movement involved and I would think easy to overcook it ?


:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: