An Area where you put pictures and Videos of your pride and joy also anything about the steel guitar
Post a reply

Re: Any secret note pockets?

Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:12 pm

Just tried it and its a really nice change! Cant keep it though as I need my parallel E's I think. Also the same chord is there playing from string 9 with A and B two frets up. Doesn't have the sleazy feel of the Nick method though which is a shame.
More importantly, just noticed I've been upgraded to three blue things next to my name. Thought McNeil would beat me to that......
Cheers
Calum

Re: Any secret note pockets?

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:56 pm

I don't know any secret pockets but I think I got this from a Buddy Emmons basic C6th course...

Re: Any secret note pockets?

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:33 pm

Ummmm, Calum.
No extra pulls - just Eb levers and 'split' screws...
I'm not really any wiser. Gawd knows how I did it, but I'd love to try it for a longer period.
I tried Gymnopidaes 1 for a while, found the middle bit far too difficult, and re-tuned. Re-tuning was the easy bit...

Re: Any secret note pockets?

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:44 pm

I've been reading this post with interest and wondering where it would end up :?: :guitar:
J D of bum notes inc has just shown that a bit of knowledge and 50 years of practice ( at least ) has a lot more to offer than all the rods and stoppers under the deck ever can! :roll:
Since Calum is counting my blue badge tally I thought I'd better catch up with him by adding this comment and a picture to go with it, so here goes :roll:
Robert wae nae pedals
Attachments
image.jpeg

Re: Any secret note pockets?

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:42 am

Nice worms Robert! And very nice tune from you John but sadly I don’t feel it will help me find any E9 note pockets. Interestingly enough, Emmons was talking about ‘pockets’ on that interview that was shared recently. He was also noodling on C6 at the time so once again, nae use for copying. I’m very unlikely ever to head down the C6 route. It seems to be more orientated towards ‘jazz’ and that’s never really been my cup of whisky, even when Ive been required to play it. I know its not all as bad as it sounds though.... :lol: :guitar:

Re: Any secret note pockets?

Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:13 pm

Calum, thanks for the compliment on my worms, coming from an expert like you it's an honour to get it :lol:
Retuning to the pockets issue, an earlier non pedal steel method was shown to me many moons ago and I still use it to this day when learning Toons :roll: :guitar:
This method does not hurt your " pocket " and it let's you see where to "dig deep" and get the notes you want, but your brain has to figure out how to get the progressions needed in order to get there :oops:
Buddy understood that and he used scales and fills to get up down and around the neck :guitar: :guitar:
Regards C6th tuning Jerry Byrd had no trouble playing anything on it without pedals, the more I get into it I find notes and chords are readily available and can be found all around the neck, I know I'll never understand it completly, but I enjoy what I'm doing and I've only been back at guitar for less than 3 years ;)
The notes are there to be found somewhere and I made up a card with them all on it to slide beneath the strings, it let's you work on progressions between them.
This method will work on pedal steel, but you need a brain to figure out what pedal or lever comes into the equasion, I've no pedals or levers on a "lap steel" and I'm a bit short on brains as well :oops: :lol: :lol:
I'll endevour to post a picture showing my set up, as a picture can be worth a thousand worms ( or words ) :lol: :guitar:
I hope this adds something constructive to this post if not it will boost my " tally " if your still counting :lol: :lol: :guitar:
Nae pedals with the same amount of brains :roll:
Robert
Attachments
image.jpeg

Re: Any secret note pockets?

Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:25 pm

Thanks Robert, I think you’ve totally got what I’m talking about. I’ve probably got a lot to learn from you plank people. I like the idea of a chart under the strings but I’m probably past that point now. Been spending a lot of time recently practicing in semi darkness and trying not to look. I suppose I’m just hoping someone will leap in with a position that Ive just not thought of yet. The sort of thing that will really annoy when I find it in three years..... :lol:
Cheers

Re: Any secret note pockets?

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:24 pm

Calum the chart is used as an aid to find out where the notes are, when you can play them and move freely between them the chart is removed and you can improve further, makes it easier to learn positions or " pockets "
We seem to be at opposites, I've been in the dark for years and I'm still trying to see the light :lol: :guitar: :guitar:

Re: Any secret note pockets?

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:36 pm

The chart looks really good Robert, great idea. LDN
Post a reply