280 MEMBERS

This is where you can rest a while and discuss anything - doesn't have to be steel guitar related!

280 MEMBERS

Postby Donny Johnston » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:57 pm

I've just noticed the membership figure at the bottom of the screen, and wondered if there was anyway they could be encouraged to participate a bit more on the site. I'm assuming that all the members will have a guitar, or, a real interest in the instrument, surely there must be loads of questions that need to be asked and answered, and we have the people on this site who can do that.Can anything be done to change this or will we just disappear up our own jack sockets.
Blanton D10, Justice s10, Fender Acoustasonic 150, 1 Brain, 2 Hands, 2 Knees, & 2 Feet.
Donny Johnston
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Re: 280 MEMBERS

Postby bob adams » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:08 pm

A word from the Bar....................d! :D

In the little town of Apathy ................ Where things just don’t get done!
If they could see the wood from trees .....they could have just so much fun!
Some of them have pedal steels .................... the ones that weigh a ton!
And others they have lap steels ................... to slant their bars on some!

The trouble is they just won’t tell ..............Of things that they get up to!
Looking for excitement! .........As they see their cold dark nights through!
They could be Fender Benders!................... have ‘E’ or ‘JD’ preference!
Do they care if we are always here?? .........Only when needing a reference!

They say that they have nothing........................to add to conversation!
Be it trivial or subjective! ...........................And regardless of relation!
Whether strings or seats, locations of meets!....It all could use some input!
But from Apatheans it will always be!!...the 'Jack S**t' of the‘Square Root’!

What to do, as has been asked!...................Is that not just the question?
Should we start a thread on favourite gaffs.........or secret gig confession!
That could draw some laughs for sure............. A red face here and there!
But would the Apatheans join in?...........Na! They’d just go ‘up the stair’!

Gimmicks! Should we have some ....................to entice them to the site?
To encourage them to join in! ............................. or even have a fight!
Should we have some gorgeous dolls .............like on the long haul flights!
They might then pay a visit!............................if only on Friday nights!

Alas!! ….I think it’s pointless guys! ................... to sit and wait a while!
On anyone who’s on here ............................ If typing ain’t their style!
We! just have to soldier on! .................The ‘Old Guard’ and ‘The Core’!
And accept that in the shadows!! ...................They think ‘Less is More’!

I really must get out more!!! :lol:
bob adams
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby henry » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:42 am

Donny I read all your posts, they dont go unappreciated.. I'll try and ask some more sensible questions rather than ones about putting legs on cases and using it as a seat (i did think that was genius though..)!

I been asking about finger picks.. you got any advice on these? do you ones made from different metals/plastic for different applications?
Marlen S10, Williams U12
Henry Senior - Pedal Steel Guitar
henry
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby johnherring » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:47 am

As a recently returned "lost sheep" after a very long time away from the fold to the point where I am almost a novice again, I also read all the posts and am very appreciative of all the knowledge and the benefit of your experience that you are all so willing to share. There is much to learn and at some point I hope to know enough to be able to contribute some thoughts, but what I really need to do is to get off this computer and do some more practise!
johnherring

Postby Donny Johnston » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:13 pm

Henry, I included you as one of the regular contributors. As far as picks go, the finger picks I have used for as long as I can remember are Dunlop 15mm, they are very light but they suit me. The thumb pick is a Slik Pick, I have been using this for about 3 years, changed over from a Dunlop. They break at the bend after a while, but I like the tone I get from them, and they don't dig into my thumb. Just make sure I have spares.
Don't you think that Bob Adams goes right over the top.
I thought legs and cases was a great idea, although mine would bend in the middle. " fat b-----d"
Blanton D10, Justice s10, Fender Acoustasonic 150, 1 Brain, 2 Hands, 2 Knees, & 2 Feet.
Donny Johnston
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby James Crowbear » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:45 pm

Well the European Steel Guit' Fo' has 457 members & it's dead as a doornail
not even a christmas greeting or a happy new year
this place is hoppin' compared
James Crowbear

Postby Uncle Roy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:54 pm

Well, :D Mr Bob Adams the next poet Laureate, who needs more contributors he can fill the site with poems :lol: :lol: :guitar:
Uncle Roy

Postby bob adams » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:00 am

B****r That for a game of soldiers Mr Heap!! :D I guess it was a momentary lapse and I came over all unnecessary!
‘She’ tells me I must control my emotions but do we fellows ever do what we’re told! ;) ……
Johnston are you being suggestive? :shock: Behave please! :lol:
Henry! keep ‘em coming the only thing daft around here is us! : :)
John .. me too! I wish I could get time to play the damn thing! … :(
James… Are we doing something right at last? Rock on! And Happy New Year to you! .. Have a great Froglandish 2012! :guitar:
bob adams
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Zumbilly(Murdoch) » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:43 am

I refrained from adding to this subject since I was taking too long to compose something of interest.Now that I am (half) sober I will give My views.
It has been said before that the same (old) members are the ones who keep this an interesting place to visit.I thank You all for that.
I occasionally ask a question(s) which I think will generate interesting replies and it almost always has the same result,YES the same members giving their valued opinion.I sometimes ask questions which may suggest I am a beginner,I thought this would be a good thing since a beginner may have felt a bit shy at asking a basic type question.Again the "Brains Trust" have given the expected support.
We will all benefit By reading posts here but I get a little annoyed at people joining with the view to selling something and contributing nothing to the discussion of Music,technique or otherwise.
Please continue posting here all You guys You know who You are.
Lurkers,You can post too,so join up and add to the controlled chaos.
Luv Yeese All
Billy
Zumbilly(Murdoch)
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby henry » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:28 am

Donny - I think Bob went 'over the top' of his chair when I started asking about putting legs on cases! The funny thing was I asked him about it at about 1:30am when I got in from a gig, having lugged my stuff round London and got a response within 20mins! I was VERY impressed with the service!

cheers for the feedback about picks. I was kinda thinking it might be good to use the really bright (made of steel?) picks for honky tonking upbeat country tunes and then the silver/nickel ones for soulful ballad playing. does anyone else do that? (what i need to do first is learn to play soulfully and upbeat though.. :| )

I really struggled with tone, and I found mine was always really trebly (playing through a 10" speaker doens't help, i know). but i got more and more used to it and developed my style around a really toppy sound, and then it almost sounded dull when playing with the silver/nickel picks ( i found myself really attacking the strings to try and force more top end out of them!) . i was amazed by what a difference it made. I'm kind of into them now but still prefer the brighter ones.

Bob, you're definitely doign something right here. Keep up the good work! :guitar:
Marlen S10, Williams U12
Henry Senior - Pedal Steel Guitar
henry
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Next

Return to Steel Guitar Cafe