MY FIRST STEEL GIG

News of steel players

MY FIRST STEEL GIG

Postby STEDDIE EDDIE » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:46 pm

After some 17 years playing lead guitar and mandolin, and about three months after buying my first E9th pedal steel guitar, a red sho bud ldg, i took it out on a gig, with my old band 'Mustang' i told the lads, it was to be very low key, no announcing 'this time we feature Eddie on the pedal steel guitar' stuff, i would just discreetly sit down at the steel, and play on a couple of numbers, and i warned the lads in the band, 3 p*** takers, not to even look at me or laugh, and i told them i would just play randomly, any song i felt comfortable with, they were very good for the first 2 numbers, but on the 3rd number with steel, i looked at the 3 of them, after i noticed the singer was struggling to contain himself, all 3 were looking straight ahead, all wide eyed, pursing their lips, trying not to laugh, and as soon as they knew i was looking at them, they just erupted into laughter, and i couldnt help but join in, but despite them reprobates, i did use the steel on a few more songs, and i think i did reasonably well, and they didnt put me off, too much, just made me more determinded for future gigs, but ill never forget 'my first seel gig' :guitar: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carter sd10 USA Fender Telecaster, digitech rp155, Goodrich ldr2 vp, peavey nashville 112 electro-voice, Roland 80XL,
STEDDIE EDDIE
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Re: MY FIRST STEEL GIG

Postby Zebedee » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:12 pm

I won't forget my first steel gig in a hurry, either.

I built my first steel (because I was skint) and on the day that I finished it, I took it to the gig.

I played lead guitar in a country trio (rhythm guitar, his wife singing, drum box, and me) , so they said to bring it along.

For some reason, I had tuned my steel to Eb9.

The guitar player had big hands, and a 12 string Aria that had a very thin neck.

So he detuned his guitar down 4 frets, and put a capo on the 4th fret (where the neck was a bit wider) to play back in regular tuning.

He also moved his capo around, to play in different keys, as he only knew how to play two chords, C and F.

My strat was in normal tuning, and I had got used to looking at where his capo was, and looking at if he was playing a C or an F, so that I would know what key we were in.

Now, throw in a newbie on steel, which was detuned a semitone, who was confused enough by the complexities of a PSG,
to be confronted by a guitar that was detuned two tones, with a capo which could be anywhere on the neck, with either a C chord or an F chord being played, and two seconds to determine the key, the result was chaos :D
ZeBedee aka the spring man
Zebedee
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby STEDDIE EDDIE » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:06 am

wow! that certainly was a chaotic first gig Richard, i think i got off lightly in comparison, also read about your first gig in the recent newsletter Billy, but once again, i have to express my dissapointment at lack of responses, in what could and should have been a good humoured and entertaining thread, cos pretty much everyone does have a story to tell, maybe just cant be bothered, oh well! i tried!
Carter sd10 USA Fender Telecaster, digitech rp155, Goodrich ldr2 vp, peavey nashville 112 electro-voice, Roland 80XL,
STEDDIE EDDIE
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Paul Brennan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:41 pm

My first gig with the steel was three or four days after I got it. It was Houricans, Granard. It wasn't of particular note. I had already been playing guitar for over ten years. I also had bought the Winnie Winston bible several months before my steel (a black BMI) arrived. I had committed most of the book to memory and it certainly helped. I just picked my moments and had a go. Knowing I always had the safety net of the guitar to fall back on was a big help. Another huge help was playing in the house band in the Tangled Web, Longford. I didn't have to play guitar in this band and could just sit there and feel my way around on the steel. The most embarrassing thing was when my cheap, flimsy stool broke and deposited me on my arse in front of a few hundred people. After that I went and bought a decent fold-up piano bench steel that I still use. Eddie, it sure is quiet around here isn't it?
Paul Brennan
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:58 pm

Not that I don`t want to contribute..... it was about 40 years ago! And I am sure it was as bad as everyone else`s but i really cannot remember.....time is a great healer :)
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby henry » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:23 pm

..mine was last night. played for two hours - knew about one hour! spent most of the time bricking myself that the singer woudl turn round and point to me to do a break..which she did a few times. a bit of dutch courage (I have read the threads about opinions of drinking on gigs..this was medicinal) and pretending that I was at home like normal just about got me through. I pity the poor audience!
Marlen S10, Williams U12
Henry Senior - Pedal Steel Guitar
henry
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Dave Nutt » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:12 pm

Henry, thats that one over, it gets to be easier and a lot more fun.
Congrats
Dave.
Dave Nutt
Deceased
Deceased

Postby henry » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:17 pm

cheers Dave. Hopefully it can only get better from here!
Marlen S10, Williams U12
Henry Senior - Pedal Steel Guitar
henry
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Shaun » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:31 pm

Well Done Henry,
Hope you enjoyed the experience.
May there be many more gis to follow.
Sho-Bud Pro3 D10, Fender Mustang 3 Amp
Let there be steel
Shaun
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Rick B » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:05 pm

Well done Eddie!

And well done Henry - who were you playing with, and where?

Thanks/no thanks to an audience member, a tune from my first gig went up on Youtube. A link? No chance!!
Rick B

Next

Return to Steel Players