Volume pedal confusion

An Area where you put pictures and Videos of your pride and joy also anything about the steel guitar

Volume pedal confusion

Postby Geefresh » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:00 pm

Again, I dunno if this is in the right place as there's not a general Gear Discussion board (might be an idea, eh mods?).

Right, so as some of you may have read, I am basically just starting out. I am to receive my Stage One in mere days, and plumped for a Roland Cube 80x for my steel amp after initially trying and failing to find a valve amp suitable for double duty that wasnt a Twin.

For weeks I've been researching which volume pedal to get. Initially I was gonna go for a Hilton but have now decided that I just don't want to spunk £200+ on a pedal just yet (so Goodrich and certainly Telonics are out of the picture too, obviously).

So, after reading up on various models, taking into consideration possible tone suck, taper, reliability and suitability for steel, I've got it narrowed down to the following...

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/dvp1-volume-pedal

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetai ... ductId=697

http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/fend ... 1640-p.asp

http://www.ernieball.com/products/pedal ... lectronics

...or do I just get the cheapest one I can find and put a decent pot in it?

...or do I just stump up the cash for a Hilton?!

Anyone have any experience of the above?

The Boss is favourite at the moment, from reviews and it's functionality, although it's an ugly swine.
Geefresh

Re: Volume pedal confusion

Postby henry » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:05 pm

I had one of the fender ones for a bit. didn't like it that much they're not as solidly built as goodrich/hilton and they're quite tall which didnt' suit me (I'm 6'2).
and also the jacks are on the left rather than the right, which is awkward for pedal steel. and the pot went scratchy pretty quick, although to be fair it was second hand, but pretty new.

I got a goodrich one which I used for a couple of years. I really liked the sound of it, built like a brick shithouse, and I had the low model, so a nice fit.
But the pots kept going scratchy. And yes you can replace them, but I only got round to it when the scratchiness pissed me off enough. And the replacement pots cost £25 a pop. For some people they last for years, not for me.

I am using a Hilton at the moment, I think I like the sound less than the Goodrich, but it is clean as a whistle.
(Supposedly pot VPs lose less treble to ground as you increase volume so you get a crying extra treble effect? :? Also the Goodrich just seems more raw :guitar: , maybe it's in my head)

I dont know what to recommend, but VP is a core part of the overall technique and I think it's worth getting something that is comfortable and has a comparable action to any model you may upgrade to.
And I think it's important to get one designed for steel as the action of the pedal is designed for sitting rather than standing.

Just my 2c, only been playing a few years now. I'm sure others will provide more seasoned advice.

Henry

..and yeah, it's difficult to know where to post things.. maybe a gear board would be good?!
Marlen S10, Williams U12
Henry Senior - Pedal Steel Guitar
henry
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:33 pm

I have had them all but the Telonics does it for me.... I know it may cost you four or five gigs but what the Hell! you only have to do it once..... just look at the quality of the thing.. I will never need another VP.. ;)

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Will C » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:45 am

I like the expression "tone suck". My article in the BSS newslatter a year or so back explained why this happens. The maths is not for the faint-hearted, it's real and it happens. This is why so many players go into the amp direct with full signal, so as to buffer the instrument. Then you go out through the FX loop to delay and VP, and now the VP is not affecting tone because the output impedance of the amp is low compared to the instrument.

The effect is real enough if you go to the VP direct from the instrument. In that case you need the highest value VP pot you can get, it minimises the effect. These high quality long life pots are worth the extra, but I've tried a few pedals by now and have just shelled out the cash for a Telonics, because John's VP is superb. It does what a VP should, and it'll never go scratchy.

Will C
Ramsey, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire
Mullen Pre-RP U12
Williams keyless U14
12 strings, 10 thumbs, 2 left feet
Will C
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby elparkirio » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:17 pm

For what it's worth I've got an Ernie Ball VP Jnr and it works fine...when i have some money i will be investing in the goodrich 120 though as it has a smother action and better componenets...the ernie ball has kept me going for a while though
elparkirio
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Geefresh » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:44 pm

Yeah, I was reading about impendance and all that malarky t'other night. It did indeed do my head in and I'm more confused than ever!

So if I run it in the fx loop, it'll be OK? Or before the amp but with a buffer before it? But am i right in thinking that if you have a high impendance pot after a buffer it can have a negative effect on the taper (altho not the tone or volume)? So therefore a low impendance potted pedal would be best for in the FX loop?

I've read post after post in various forums about this issue and I still dont get it! I think 200 smackers on the Hilton would've been worth it afterall, just to not have had to try and work it out!
Geefresh

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:57 am

I can let you have an "as new" Hilton for 150 quid.... no box but pedal in perfect condition...... ;)

plus PP... unless you collect
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Geefresh » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:18 am

Would that be the ME262-B? Call it 140 and throw in P&P and you've got a deal!
Geefresh

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:42 am

Its the same pedal as Mr.Hogan will sell you (for in excess of 200 quid and mine comes with the pedal bar brackett (that is another 20 quid!) and if you read the blurb on the website His items prices EXCLUDE post and packing !! probably another 15 quid!!!
so I think I will decline your "generous" offer and if anyone else wants it,.... its still here ;) .....
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Geefresh » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:27 pm

Well, I had to have a go, didn't? I always curse myself for not haggling and lose out so I decided to try and break the habit. Apologies for any offence.

Oh, we'll, despite it being still twice what I was planning on spending on a vp, I will gladly accept your actual generous offer. Pm me you details and I'll send payment. Cheers!
Geefresh

Next

Return to The Steel Guitar Including Photos and Videos