2 questions?

News and views on all things Lap Steel

2 questions?

Postby telboy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:54 pm

1] Tribotone tone bars, are they worth the money?

2] Do any of you use the wall hanging mounts for 6 string lap steel, if so, what type/brand?

cheers terry
telboy
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Re: 2 questions?

Postby Zumbilly(Murdoch) » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Tribotone bars are excellent and I am glad I bought one,it will,however never replace My BJS John Hughey bar.
Sorry cannot answer question 2.
Billy
Zumbilly(Murdoch)
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby henry » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:13 pm

i tried out a tribotone, it really reduces string noise.
depends what you like really. I quite like string noise, but if i was feeling flush I'd get one for the silky smooth playing experience but dont think it would replace my steel bar

(this is based on about 5 mins use of someone else's)
Marlen S10, Williams U12
Henry Senior - Pedal Steel Guitar
henry
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Chris_Lovegrove » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:04 pm

1.) Never used Tribotone mate sorry. I have a Lap Dawg and an EG Smith. Tbh, I don't really get much string noise on my electric lap steel, and I really quite like it on my weissenborn. Gives it a real bluesy and rootsy feel to it which I guess could disappear with a tribotone.

2.) I use the Hercules auto grab wall hangers. All my guitars are on the wall to free up floor space and make the room look purdy. I use the standard ones and my acoustic lap steel (kona-style neck) is a very snug fit. I also have a Gosden electric lap steel that is a very very snug fit into these hangers but it looks superb on the wall. They provide all the measurements online so you can check your guitar will fit before hand, and they offer a wider model for wide neck instruments too. I emailed them with some queries and they were really helpful. The auto-lock feature is really snazzy, and I have no worries about the guitars falling out.
Chris_Lovegrove

Postby Chris_Lovegrove » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Also, re: the hangers, the foam sleeves are designed to be non-reactive with the guitars finish. Other foams/ rubbers can mar them. My weiss is an oil finish- no problems. The Gosden is a satin lacquer- no problems.

Also have a Gibson Les Paul Juniour Special hanging in one with a nitro finish- no issues.

I know some people online have had issues with the screws "failing" and them falling out the wall as they aren't "strong enough" (quoted from online reviews). I personally have had no issues. I have 4 now and they are all rock solid; 1 is in a solid wall and the others just have to be carefully placed into the baffles on the stud wall and there is absolutely no problem. You get supplied with screws, plugs etc. The heaviest guitars on the wall at the moments are the Les Paul (solid mahogany) and the Gosden lap steel (solid oak) and the hangers are as good as the day I got them (over 6 months ago).

Hope that helps mate.

Take home message: take care with placing any wall hanger for best results!
Chris_Lovegrove

Postby telboy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:51 pm

thanks to one n all for the replies, gonna get the kids to buy me a yellow tribotone for crimbo :) and also watching some hangers as i type :)
telboy
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby telboy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:06 pm

Peter Darling wrote:Ref: Tribotone Tone bars.
Definitely worth every last cent.
These bars without doubt glide over the strings with less drag than a stainless one.
They are a pleasure to use..Once you have one you will never go back to a STEEL BAR AGAIN.
Tell you what..I have two of them BUT I need only one now as I only play lap steel so the larger 7/8ths diameter x 3 1/4" long one will be surplus to requirement.
It is the Tribotone D in white and has a recess for the thumb to do reverse slants.
I actually got it for pedal steel.
I want to get used to using only one bar ( The smaller one which is 3/4" diameter x 3" long..the B91 )
If the other is'nt here then I won't be tempted.
If you would like to try the larger one, you pay the postage and I'll send it to you so you can at least see what they are like to use.
If you like it make me a decent offer. If not, then please send it back. Howzat?
If you do like it, tell others. If you don,t, tell others!!!!! but please say WHY you don't!

Peter, thats a very kind offer, i'll take you up on it...i'll PM my address now...Terry
telboy
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby telboy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:34 pm

Having tried out peters bar i can deffo say "YEP THEY'RE WORTH THE MONEY! super smooth, good weight, hardly any noise and feels very comfy in the hand...Terry
telboy
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Chris_Lovegrove » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:39 pm

These tribotone bars are 'bullet' style bars aren't they? Do hammer ons feel nice with it?
Chris_Lovegrove

Return to Lap Steel Players