My new (old) Marlen SD10

An Area where you put pictures and Videos of your pride and joy also anything about the steel guitar

Re: My new (old) Marlen SD10

Postby henry » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:09 am

yep, that's the one. red pickups in red cover, one of the corners has cracked off the cover.

glad you like it! it's been a good guitar. I bought it off ebay knowing nothing about pedal steels from a guy in Hull.
Marlen S10, Williams U12
Henry Senior - Pedal Steel Guitar
henry
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Will C » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:01 am

Tony,

It was definitely Henry's Marlen. Mine was always red, and always had the 4th pedal. Never got around to putting in the Franklin change. It started life as a D10 and I modded it, put in an all pull changer, Alumitone pickup, active pre-amp and removed the C6 parts. The pedals were always in two groups of four. Richard Burton did some nice work with helper springs to equalise the pulls and firm up the pedals somewhat. He's not known as"Spring Man"for nothing!
Ramsey, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire
Mullen Pre-RP U12
Williams keyless U14
12 strings, 10 thumbs, 2 left feet
Will C
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Uncle Roy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:41 am

Glad you are finding your Marlen great fun to play Tom. Sorry that we never had the chance to meet up with you when you were in Bath. Our monthly steel workshop was only about 5 miles from Bath in the village of Siston. Anyway best of luck with your new home in London.
Uncle Roy

Postby BanjoTom » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:22 am

Yep, Richard did some sterling work - last night I had my first go on another psg since I started learning to play (a friend's D10 ZB), and I realised just how smooth and responsive the pedals are. Thank you! Still very much loving the Marlen!

Roy, it's a shame, workshops like that are exactly what I need, and it'd be great to meet some other players - especially ones who know a thing or two! I'm only on a temporary contract, the market being what it is, so I should be back in the west country in the New Year - I'll definitely get in touch then.

In the meantime, would there be any interest from anyone in setting up a London gathering? Henry, I'm just down in Tooting if you ever fancy comparing Marlens...
BanjoTom

Postby henry » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi Tom, yeah I'd be up for meeting up at some point, next week's pretty good for me?

" if you ever fancy comparing Marlens..."
I hear yours is bigger than mine!
Marlen S10, Williams U12
Henry Senior - Pedal Steel Guitar
henry
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby BanjoTom » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:19 pm

Next week's ok, the following one better. I'll pm you my mobile, let's sort something out.
BanjoTom

Previous

Return to The Steel Guitar Including Photos and Videos