Tuning.

News of steel players

Re: Tuning.

Postby SteelieAJK » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:47 am

Re original post
I don't understand.
I'm pragmatic about tuning steel, and use a sweetened tuning based on Emmons E9 tuning chart.
I think it works for me, not too bothered how or why.
Allan J. Kelly
GFI Ultra | Thomas SD10 | Rains SD10 -> Hilton -> Pedal Board -> ZT Club(s) | Morris Tweed 40
Bars: Emmons, BJS, Ezzee Slide, Sonic Sound
allan-kelly.co.uk
SteelieAJK
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Shaun » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:43 am

Slim, I too don't know what you mean in the original post.
I use a peterson Tuner, its great. I bought it when I bought my steel and am very pleased I don't need to mess about with the tuning charts.
Although perhaps I'm missing out on an important bit of learning there.
Sho-Bud Pro3 D10, Fender Mustang 3 Amp
Let there be steel
Shaun
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby slimbo » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Sorry guy's, seem like the two posts have got mixed up.
The first post was about how you would deal with the 4 and eight 8 string moving to the required tuning, but not returning back to it's original setting,i.e. e to f= ok but on letting it off, comes back sharp, and also E to Eb and again letting it off and it comes back flat.
This can be a self inflicted situation, and the more you try to correct it the worse it gets.

The second post is just a question on how you tune your steel, some tone tune, some use a standard tuner, some use a Peterson, and so on.
I used to tune to 440, but was never happy with the tuning in certain chord structures.
Now I use a Peterson and it's about as close as you can get, well, for me anyway, but then, no tuning is ever going to tune to full satisfaction, it just wont happen, do you remember the tower with a roller behind the nut, do any of you still have them, and did they ever do the job.
The instrument is evolving all the time, and these ideas keep popping up, and will continue to do so, and what works for one won't allways work for another, it's all in the ear, and mine aint that good.
HAVE I OPENED A CAN OF WORMS OR WHAT?.
slimbo
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby James Crowbear » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:01 am

Harmonics is THE way !
James Crowbear

Postby henry » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:42 pm

it may be THE way, but bloody hell it's complicated! :ugeek:

thanks for the post though, very informative. I'll have a go at it when I'm feeling adventurous :shock:

might stick it on my blog too if that's ok?!
Marlen S10, Williams U12
Henry Senior - Pedal Steel Guitar
henry
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Paul Brennan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm with Monsieur le Corneille-Ours (Crowbear).

Using harmonics is the best way to get your steel into Just Intonation. However, a lot of players (me included) do a bit more tweaking. Mostly they flatten the two F# strings a bit so the string-5-pedal-down with strings one or two combination sounds a bit more in tune. If you don't do this you'll get wild beats as that interval, C#/F# a fourth/fifth, is way too sharp. Other people just slant the bar slightly, especially when playing string-5-pedal-down and string-1.

If I may pick up a point here. I don't fully agree with the point of view that says something like "just tune up to settings X on tuning meter brand X". That's ok up to a point. After that you need to be constantly listening to your intonation and making minor, often unconscious, adjustments with your bar hand. We're playing a variable intonation instrument so we need to very aware of the most minor deviations in pitch that a mere guitar slinger will be blissfully unaware of as he blasts his clichéd out of tune fills over the other band members. Cal Sharp calls this kind of player a slug - I agree with him.
Paul Brennan
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby James Crowbear » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:07 pm

Mercy Bookoo Paul
it's obvious that tuning the whole steel in 1 go is not feasible for the newbie or amateur BUT
if 1 starts slowly & by steps/sections such as the Es, Bs, As, F# first
the go on to the Ebs, Fs, G or G#, C#
he'll get it & be all right
of course compromise is inevitable & no two steels are alike
that's why it's important to know the one you have
as i went along learning how to tune by harmonics, i'd enter each value into my Peterson
once they're in, i have them for good & tune in silence when in live situations
if you only have an analog tuner, write down each value
believe me, if me Gollie can tune it, you can
no kitty kat, just beer will do...
James Crowbear

Postby Paul Brennan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:10 am

Hi Crowbear, do you have a harmonics tuning method for the C6 neck?
Paul Brennan
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Previous

Return to Steel Players