Anyone tried one of these????????????

News of steel players

Anyone tried one of these????????????

Postby Jimmy Gibson » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:49 am

I know the Roland Cube80 is getting a lot of good feedback,and it is a great little amp,but has anyone tried the Line6 Spider 75 watt combo,i have been using one with Memory Lane the band i play with,and they are superb for steel and guitar,they have great onboard effects 4 channel settings at the touch of a switch.
Also amp sim from the JC120 Fender Blacface,and others.
These amps are very loud,light and you can pick one up for about £100,i have two the other is the Spider 3 head i use this with a 15 inch EV and it is absolutely superb.

Jimmy..
Jimmy Gibson
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Re: Anyone tried one of these????????????

Postby Jimmy Gibson » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:45 pm

31 views and no coments,looks like i must be the only steelie to have used one.but If you get a chance to try one of these amps i am sure you will be impressed///

Jimmy.
Jimmy Gibson
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:52 am

OK Jimmy I will give you a reply...... on one of the rare occasions my Twin let me down I played through one of those for four days! at Loughborough town hall..... my relief at getting my twin back was immense! but after the 80 XL one of those twins is already down the road>>>> and I have another here (if anyone cares to purchase?) I will keep the third for sentimental reasons. But thats not the end of the story...... The 80XL because of the way it is wired, will accept another
8 ohm speaker in the Ex.socket and if you plug in a JBL E120 (it has to be in a full range cab.) you can sit the 80 on top of the JBL cab angle the two bits slightly it gives a sound that is wide and awesome, with string seperation that I have not heard from any other amp. Re. the business about the cab, I have tried the E120 in the cabs (triangular) that they use for midrange P.A. They will not cut it for your 80xl ex.speaker IMHO... I have even put them in some oldH&H cabs still NBG. The box appears to be the secret with correct amount of airspace & ports.... I dream about a Roland 80XL head that I may do away with their 12" speaker (Good as it surely is!) and use both my seperate full range cabs with the E120`s, Butwhen I phoned Roland they told me it was cheaper to buy another amp complete and alter it rather than buy spare parts.... this I may well do ;) But the guy at Roland told me they are getting loads of enquiries about a "Head" version.......

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Jimmy Gibson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks John for that indept reply on your set up and i bet it sounds awesome, and if that`is what you like to use great,but at my age i don`t need or want to hump all that extra gear to my gigs, i get a good full sound out of this little Line 6 Spider just on it`s own, and because it has 4 channels settings that can be set up with seperate tones /effects and volumes.it is very verstile,and very loud!, i play lead guitar and steel with a 4 piece band, with live drums live bass and rythm guitar 3 vocalist and we do play some big clubs.All i can say is if it was one of these Line 6 amp you say you used for 4 days i`m sure had you time to set it up for your steel you could have got a good sound, i have no problems getting a decent steel and guitar sound from either of my Line 6 amps.One is a Line 6 head with a 15 inch EV Speaker cab and the other is a 12inch speaker combo.But i guess every one does not like the sound of fender amps for steel,and others swear by them,but i like the sound i get out of the Line 6 ,and if you don`t try one of these amps out how do you know if you would like it ,maybe you would,maybe not.

Jimmy.
Jimmy Gibson
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Donny Johnston » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:53 pm

This is what I love about the forum, 2 amps, 2 players, 2 totally different opinions. Doesn't get any better than this.
Blanton D10, Justice s10, Fender Acoustasonic 150, 1 Brain, 2 Hands, 2 Knees, & 2 Feet.
Donny Johnston
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Jimmy Gibson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:51 pm

Yes Donny,and as long as we keep it friendly long may it go on.most of us know what kind of sound WE like and some amps are either good or cr#p for steel,but as i said if you don`t try them out how do you know?

Jimmt
Jimmy Gibson
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby slimbo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:04 pm

Good chat, here we are 70+ and still hunting for that elusive sound, and how much dosh have we spent over the years, and will continue to do so, the problem being, what sounds good on stage does not necessarily mean it sounds as good off stage, and visa versa, so we go onward.
I need the smallest amp I can get, with the best sound I can get, but sometimes it's not just the amp, or the steel, it can also be the way we play the instrument, we all attack the strings in a different way, and playing a chord in a different way can make the whole chord sound different. I think tequnique can have a lot to do with your sound.
I play my way, then Emmons sits down on the same amp and the whole sound changes, it's much akin to a woman, it's the way you approach the task, nuff said.
slimbo
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Jimmy Gibson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:09 pm

Great to se you back,

Jimmy.
Jimmy Gibson
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby henry » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:44 pm

I've been trying to work on my sound..

I've tried the following amps recently:

1 Boogie Studio 22+. Clean sound is far to rock and has much too much midrange that you cant dial out but the overdrive sound is awesome. And it's pretty light.
2 Peavey special 130. Pretty good lots headroom and useful EQ and all for £60 s/h.
3 Yamaha G112 lots volume and a really powerful eq, and also has a parametric eq with depth/resonance/q. really nice clean tones and good reverb.
4 Roland super cube 100 with 15" speaker. nice sounds but the eq not as powerful as the Yamaha or Peavey. Reverb is pretty nice and the 15" speaker makes a difference.
5 Roland Cube 30. This was my portable gigging amp. Great for taking on the tube but a bit underpowered and a 10" speaker left a bit to be desired.
unfortunately I left the Cube 30 on the tube so I'm looking to replace it. Maybe with a cube 40 or 60.
Marlen S10, Williams U12
Henry Senior - Pedal Steel Guitar
henry
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Malcolm » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:01 am

Try GK MB200 amp, Sica 12 or 15 inch speaker, light (around 19/22 lbs depending on cab), 200watts, great sound. Amp retails for about £206, speaker around £90 , cab as much or little as you want to spend on it.Even the Amp head itself is a great emergency thing to have , and at only 2lbs weight is easy to carry around.
MSA Millennium SD1O, GK MB200,Sica 12 and Telonics 15 speakers , Joyo American Sound pre amp, Jay Ganz Straight Ahead 500w class D Amp, Hilton pedal, Peterson tuners,Digitech RP150,Scott Dixon seat/ flight case.
Malcolm
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Next

Return to Steel Players