The great Eric Haywood on steel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IqkXfr6 ... r_embedded

Alan
Alan Cook
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Re: Eric Haywood

Postby Donny Johnston » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Great sound from the Williams, really great minimalist playing. Saw him on the Letterman show , playing through a Fender amp. CANNYWHACKIT
Blanton D10, Justice s10, Fender Acoustasonic 150, 1 Brain, 2 Hands, 2 Knees, & 2 Feet.
Donny Johnston
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby STEDDIE EDDIE » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:08 am

MINIMALISTIC is the word, very under stated playing, im sure most on here could play that, but Eric has that 'smoothness' that just carries it, makes such a change from a lot of modern recordings, where the steel, lead and fiddle compete as to who can cram in most notes, speed licks'n'all, brad paisley and his band were very guilty of this gratitious over playing at a recent concert here in Mayo, really p*****d a lot of people off, i know its technically brilliant, but its not beautiful, thats my view anyway, and i would say the majority of people at that concert, anyway, back to Eric Haywood, that was 'very nicely played'
Carter sd10 USA Fender Telecaster, digitech rp155, Goodrich ldr2 vp, peavey nashville 112 electro-voice, Roland 80XL,
STEDDIE EDDIE
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Paul Brennan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:15 pm

I love playing as fast as possible! However, I'd be the first to say that it has it's time and place. It certainly can be overdone. All things in moderation and all that...
I recall a story about a famous older steel player while watching a young gun blast notes in all directions said, "if I could play that fast I wouldn't do it!"
Paul Brennan
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Rick B » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:10 pm

Seeing Eric Heywood with Son Volt from a distance of about six feet made me want to play the steel guitar. Here's two of my favourite Eric YouTube clips…

With Ray Lamontagne in London playing 'Empty'. Lamontagne's voice is an acquired taste, but Eric's playing is otherworldly…

…and with Jeffery Foucault on 'Northbound 35'. Warning: horrible recording quality - but worth it...

Rick B

Postby henry » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:51 pm

great clips Rick. Empty is just brilliant! havent come across Eric Heywood before but will keep my ears open..
Marlen S10, Williams U12
Henry Senior - Pedal Steel Guitar
henry
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Return to Pedal Steel Recordings