Some of the best have left us

Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:17 am

Arnett Mills shows a "Marlen" can sound just as sweet as an "Emmons" push pull

Re: Some of the best have left us

Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:08 pm

THIS IS GREAT STUFF. DONNY.

Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:25 am

Wow! That is immense! Killer tone, full sustain, lovely phrasing and great choice of harmony. I'm sorry to say that's the first I've heard of Arnett Mills, what a great player.
Fantastic post, John, thank you.

Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:53 pm

Here is another great player that has left us Danny see if you can put a name to him? Here is a clue, I took this photo in Sweethome Tx on 21st April 2007. I asked him why he had no CD's of his playing he said "no one would buy them" I said "I Would!" Some of the Finest Texas steel playing came from this man. he passed in 2017
Attachments
TEXAS_71a - Copy.jpg

Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:01 pm

No, you've got me again, John. I'll try a guess with Dickie Overby :oops:
I admire his hands free smoking technique! How the hell can you play the steel and smoke???
Can you point me to any vids of him playing?

Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:00 pm

That was Randy Reinhart (not sure about the spelling) He was a steel player in the Yellow Rose Band with Bobby Flores, he was an amazing player, I was lucky to be at that gig twas the highlight of a Tx visit with three of the finest steel players in the same band! Halfway through the evening Randy went out side the hall and Jim Loessburg gets off the drums and plays Randy's steel to almost the same standard, Bobby stayed with fiddle and vocals but he could have played steel had there been another fiddle or vocalist.
Now we have lost Bobby as well there are far better steelies in the hearafter than whats left on the planet.

Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:43 pm

What a great memory, John. Sounds like you'd be tripping over killer steelers in the States in those days.

JohnDavisStringsHere wrote:Now we have lost Bobby as well there are far better steelies in the hearafter than whats left on the planet.

Sad but true.

Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:30 am

Another great find JD.
Post a reply