*****South of England Steel Guitar Festival - 2017*****

News of forthcoming Steel Guitar events, meetings and Festivals

Re: *****South of England Steel Guitar Festival - 2017*****

Postby Will C » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:54 pm

I'd just like to add my thanks and appreciation to Ken's for all those who worked so hard to make the event the success it was, and of course the players who came and put themselves under the microscope. It's in my diary for next year, Ron!

By the way, did anyone record me doing "Memory" on Saturday afternoon?
Ramsey, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire
Mullen Pre-RP U12
Williams keyless U14
12 strings, 10 thumbs, 2 left feet
Will C
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Kay Cook-Abbott » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Amazing weekend. Some fantastic players taking part. Thank you so much.
Kay Cook-Abbott

Postby Kay Cook-Abbott » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:12 pm

Will C wrote:I'd just like to add my thanks and appreciation to Ken's for all those who worked so hard to make the event the success it was, and of course the players who came and put themselves under the microscope. It's in my diary for next year, Ron!

By the way, did anyone record me doing "Memory" on Saturday afternoon?
Kay Cook-Abbott

Postby Basil Henriques » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:17 pm

I'd like to say that Pat and I enjoyed being a small part of the bigger picture..we enjoyed ourselves..... Great to put a face on those enternet Farcebook webby type people..
So nice to see youngsters (other than myself) taking an avid interest in the steel guitar..Next year the better half & I may include some music to go with the comedy that was us this time..

We would appreciate some pictures of all concerned to include in the next copy of our magazine.. PLEASE..
Maybe even a short review of the event..

Steelies do it without fretting
CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>Image
Basil Henriques
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Location: Trevelmond, Liskeard, Cornish Riviera, United Kingdom

Postby jonshack » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:34 pm

I'm getting a kick out of being referred to as "young" :lol:

Thank you all for being so welcoming and friendly, we had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with you chaps for the weekend. Everyone gave the playing their all. There was a lot of shared anxiety as well as good humour and joy! I can highly recommend putting yourself to the test in front of an audience of steel guitarists. Nothing like it.
:shock: :guitar: :oops: :lol:

Thanks Ron, Ken, Jim and everyone for your sharing your talent, time and good advice.

Jonathan
jonshack
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby mick hearn » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Again from me a thankyou to all concerned in staging this event. I met Basil and Pat at last and as Basil says its nice to put faces to the names we see in this blog. I certainly had some fun and who knows I might even have my broken teeth repaired by next time so I can smile again. I still have the crowns in my tobacco pouch in the hope they can be replaced.
The B and B was something to write home about and the Hotel Inspector would have been pulling her hair out. We learnt from that experience. The only down side was the journey home. Having left at 3.30pm I arrived home at midnight due to delays on the M4 and of course stopping for eats.

A good weekend for me.
ShoBud 6139 - Remington Steelmaster - George Boards 8 String - Gretsch Country Gent - National Twin 8 Console x 2 - National New Yorker and a shed full of guitars.
mick hearn
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Ken Byng » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:52 am

I've been looking at accommodation for participants for next year's weekend. I came across this site where there are around 80 chalets available for 1 - 2 people for £46.00 a night. https://www.laterooms.com/en/hotel-rese ... vedon.aspx

Also, there are several Travelodge's within reasonable proximity to Long Ashton priced at £42 - £45 per night.

For last year's festival I booked 2 night's stay at the Rodney Hotel in Clifton at £90.00 a night B&B. I had to pay in advance and it was a disaster. Firstly there was parking for just 4 - 5 cars, and surrounding streets had a residents permit parking scheme in place. I had to park my car 3/4 of a mile away in a very dubious back street. Secondly I was given a room up on the 3rd floor with no lift, just a very narrow winding stairwell to carry a very heavy suitcase. Not good for someone who is edging rapidly towards 70 with heart problems. Lastly there was a wedding party who had taken over the hotel for the weekend. The thumping of a disco until 4.00am was bad enough, but then some of the wedding guests thought it would be great fun to run around each floor and bang on the room doors F'ing and blinding at 2.00 in the morning. I had to threaten to knock one of these idiots out before he would stop banging my door. They were as pissed as farts. I didn't stay the second night, but when I got home I went straight onto Farcebook and gave the hotel the worst review it has ever had. Needless to say, give the Rodney Hotel a wide berth. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby mick hearn » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:23 am

The first night we stayed at Holiday Inn at Swindon. £50 for a room with two single beds and well worth the money. En suite, tv, wifi, tea and coffee and bedding was first class. Then full english breakfast and you can keep going back for more. Would use those again. i believe there are three in Bristol

In contrast the B and B was a disaster.

Kay and I are now writing a song about it called "Good Night, Bad Night"
ShoBud 6139 - Remington Steelmaster - George Boards 8 String - Gretsch Country Gent - National Twin 8 Console x 2 - National New Yorker and a shed full of guitars.
mick hearn
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby bobhcot » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:52 pm

Well I openly admit it took much encouragement from Ken and Jim to get me to play at the SESGF but I am extremely grateful that I did. What a great group of people, players and audience. Generous with their applause, sympathetic to the victims on stage, deaf to the mistakes, and we all made plenty.............

With any luck, next year will be even better. If you really feel like giving it a go, don't leave booking until the last minute. My guess it could get over subscribed!

Reckon some more material first, them practise for the next year........isn't that what we do anyway?

Thanks to everybody involved.

:). :). :)
bobhcot

Postby Ken Byng » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:36 am

Some pics of performers (in alphabetical order) at the show. Courtesy of Jimmy Pritchard. Thanks Jim :D

Aaron Kew

Basil & Pat

Bob Vaughan

Danny Hughes

Harry Bohay

Jim Pritchard

Jonathan Shacklock

Ken Byng

Mick Hearn

Peter Lindsley

Ron Kew

Will Cowell

Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

PreviousNext

Return to Steel Guitar Events Meetings and Festivals