Gt. Barford vs Thetford?

News of forthcoming Steel Guitar events, meetings and Festivals

Re: Gt. Barford vs Thetford?

Postby U_twelve » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:18 am

Count me in Dave. Only another 40 miles but a lot closer than Dallas :lol: No need to lower the admission fee in my opinion it's only the price of three or four pints of beer ...
Sierra Session S-12 (Black of course)
Peavey Session 500 (split Cab)
U_twelve

Postby Jason Lynch » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:18 pm

David, this is only an idea, (and probably not a very good one at that!) but how about having a kind of "open mike" section, if you had a spare, say, half hour in the schedule? So that anyone feeling brave enough, and good enough, could play a song with a backing track live, maybe for the first time, in front of an audience thats not going to laugh at thier efforts, and understands that we all started somewhere?
Like I said, only an idea. you've probably already rejected it mentally anyhow..!
Jason Lynch

Venue / Projector update......

Postby David Hartley » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:10 pm

I have been to look at a hall today.
It was in Barnham Norfolk as first suggested.
Depending on attendees, this could be good.
Hall, bar, soft furnishings, tables, no stage, pure White wall at one end for projections, at first sight, ideal, but probably suitable for about 12-15 players set up with room for about 50 guests. There is food, accommodation at the place too, and a music shop joined to the hall. There's a bonus.... Oh, and an Indian restaurant next door. It could be ideal, or it could be a bit small, there is a PA set up in there already.
A date will have to be organised in the next 4 weeks, and then you could decide on things.

I have great ideas. I am waiting to see some people at the Irish Festival in October to get some of my ideas suggested to some people.

I have just purchased a professional projector for HD presentations and already have checked out my HD cameras for suitability.

As you can see, I am serious about this, I am planning tuitional material too.

There are two other venues I already know about within 4 miles from this original location checked out today.

I won't, and can't decide until I get a better idea of attendees.

I am thinking April, and September. Two a year.

I am thinking Sundays, the bank holiday after the event was a good choice by JD last time round.

So, I know there are a few pedal steel guitarists which are members of this forum, I think some may even have seen this thread, as it's had over 300 views. Let's have you thoughts. I need to know if you think it's going to be likely that you could attend. Time goes quick, it's no good chatting and communicating between yourselves if you think you ain't going to make the effort. Remember, JD's event in no longer, and I ain't moving to Great Barford...

I have my email [email protected] if you don't want your views public.

Oh... Professional players in my thoughts are going to be approached.
Professional players may need paying, I don't know about pricing as yet if this comes off..
This is why there are at least two other venue ideas near by being considered also.

Keep watching this thread. Oh, and maybe a few more replies?
CD's and individual tracks available to download from iTunes and CD Baby.
Email [email protected] for tuitional material and lessons.
David Hartley
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Jason Lynch » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:59 am

As was said earlier, I definantely don't hink you should even CONSIDER lowering the entry price. £10 is more than acceptable, IMHO. I, presonally, can't wait till april to attend. I've been following this thread closly, as you know, David, and I can't think of anything in your proposed format I'd change. perhaps we'll have more of an idea about tweaking the night's events after the first one? see how it pans out?
Jason
Jason Lynch

VENUE CONFIRMED..

Postby David Hartley » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:01 am

OK.
A third visit to this venue tonight has confirmed to myself that it is the right one.
No date set yet.
I need to hear from you all but I think I will give it a go whether or not I hear from you or not.
I am making NO personal phone calls to round you all up.
This is the thread to communicate with me as to whether you turn up or not, I will give it a go, whatever.
I will set a date in January, February, March, ? I don't know as yet.
It will be at the Barnham venue, the OLD Grafton Arms, now called Dine India, but don't let that confuse you into thinking it is just an Indian restaurant. It is MUCH more.
There will be an Indian buffet included in you admission price. I ate there tonight, and I have NEVER tasted Indian food like it in my life.
It's smaller than Johns Gt Barford, but very cosy, and we can move soft furnishings and tables around to suit us.
PA supplied.
If for any reason if it overflows, there is 2 band rehearsal rooms next door for vendors.
This is the place with a music shop joined to the hall.
I will take photos on my fourth visit for you all.
It really is nice.
Let's make it ours, a new venue, I will give it my best shot.
I have your support from those who have replied and I know there's many new steelies locally who will support it.
Let's get that thing called Christmas over with and plan a date.

No guns.
CD's and individual tracks available to download from iTunes and CD Baby.
Email [email protected] for tuitional material and lessons.
David Hartley
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:58 am

Very pleased to see we have some movement on this David J Knowing how hard it is to rustle up support among our lethargic bunch of B------- …. Steel players…..
Any way, This is how I intend to support it…… , You all know how thorough David is on whatever he does steelwise so a great evening is assured….so, As soon as I know what the admission charge will be I will send that amount to David to ensure my place at the event….. If for some reason I cannot attend , be it a gig ,or I get locked in the loo…. Tough sh1t I don’t want my money back!! I will be happy knowing I have properly supported something I believe in!! and love!!…
I strongly urge you guys to adopt a similar feeling towards this venture and help David build something that will eventually benefit us all………..
"Ventis Secundis"
:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby ZBSD-10 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:14 am

If all goes according to plan , Lin and I will be back permanantly to live in the UK in March so hopefully we might get
to Dave's first venue, if not, certainly the second. All the best in this venture Dave.
Frank. Corfu 8-) :guitar:
ZBSD-10
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Jason Lynch » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Personally, you may wish to avoid Easter, as the Kids are on half term, and a few parents will be away that week, (myself included- Entirely selfish I know)
January sounds good to me.....
Jason Lynch

Postby Shaun » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:39 pm

Sounds great David, Just to confirm, name the date, I'll be there.
Sho-Bud Pro3 D10, Fender Mustang 3 Amp
Let there be steel
Shaun
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby steeliejohn » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:18 am

Hi there Dave, Hope to be there at your first meeting, would like to know date when it is arranged. Also are there any reasonable b and b's nearby or Premier Inns for a reasonably priced stopover as cannot travel there and back in same day. Good luck with arrangements, looking forward to coming. Regards John Grindey
steeliejohn

PreviousNext

Return to Steel Guitar Events Meetings and Festivals