Gt. Barford vs Thetford?

News of forthcoming Steel Guitar events, meetings and Festivals

Gt. Barford vs Thetford?

Postby David Hartley » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:16 am

I am starting a new thread here to see who would travel that extra 60 miles to a venue right near Thetford to continue the steel meetings. I have the perfect venue at Barnham Village Hall.

Have a proper think, then make you views know please.

I am willing to give it a go with the assistance of Mark Dunn.

I am thinking of maybe January 2012 maybe as the first meet.

I have attended JD for a few meetings now, and agree his format is good.
I have new ideas too though, maybe group tuition with big screen and overhead camera teaching licks to play in certain simple country music tracks, a round Robin with ideas taught seconds before a track starts and see who gets the licks and runs in.

A featured player or players could have the stage along with a band maybe too.

Like a steel meet but an hours concert by a featured singer, band, with steel player,or players, on the stage with lighting and Martin Audio PA...to finish the night off.

OK, theres my first thoughts on this. Take you time, be honest, a vote of support for this or not?

There is some tasty steel players in this region, who, with a little persuasion, I maybe could get to perform or at least attend meetings in this area.

Ideas, thoughts, comments, here please...

Regards, David

Anyway, that's what's going through my head,
CD's and individual tracks available to download from iTunes and CD Baby.
Email [email protected] for tuitional material and lessons.
David Hartley
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Re: Gt. Barford vs Thetford?

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:28 am

:) It don`t need no thinking about David...I will be there ...Thanks to all for some great playing and company last night IMHO it was world class entertainment.... :)
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Jason Lynch » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:12 am

That format sounds good, David. I might stay overnight for this somewhere, possibly. Sorry I missed last night JD.
David, I'd be there for your fist meeting.
Jason
Jason Lynch

Postby Shaun » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:02 am

Sounds Good David, I'll be there.
Sho-Bud Pro3 D10, Fender Mustang 3 Amp
Let there be steel
Shaun
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Will C » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:30 pm

Dave, some great material I heard for the first time on the 28th, another great performance. Knowing what a perfectionist you are, you might shake your head, but it was excellent even with the glitches! Thetford or Barford? Well, the only problem with Thetford is that most of those who attend come from far afield and Thetford is another hour's drive. But I love the proposed format, some structured teaching will bring us along that much faster. You have my vote wherever you decide to hold it.
Ramsey, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire
Mullen Pre-RP U12
Williams keyless U14
12 strings, 10 thumbs, 2 left feet
Will C
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby steeliejohn » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:34 am

Enjoyed the meeting at Gt Barford, thank you again to John and all his helpers. Hope to be able to get to Thetford in Jan, weather permitting, it is about the same distance for me from Sutton on Sea as it is to Barford. Steelie John Grindey.
steeliejohn

Postby Barry » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:04 am

Hi, I come to see steelies at any distance. As long as David Hartley was going to be there.
Barry
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Ivor Greenwood » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:53 pm

David......I will surely be there along with Mr Nesbitt....We will also bring along a few others from Ireland...Ted and I have been to the last three Gt Barford meets and enjoyed them all....Pity John has decided to give up, he has done a good job promoting steel guitar music and players in England....It was a pleasure to listen to everyone playing at Barford and we would like to wish Big John all the best in Texas..Looking forward to future posts on the Tube via video link with John in Texas.....David... Ted has the M S A Millennium almost changed over to your copedent along with the Telonic's system and the wonderfull steel mixer by Mr Dunn.....See you all at the IRISH Festival soon...........
Ivor Greenwood

Postby David Hartley » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:15 pm

Thanks for your replies so far.

Will C. Yes, for those coming from west of Gt Barford it would be another hours journey, but from the north or south there's not much in it. We do have roads here in Norfolk and Suffolk. Some of them have White lines and we even have a dual carriage way too. OK, different venue in the planning, but you will find, if you check your distances and driving times to, let's say, Thetford, or Bury St Edmunds, you might find there's not a lot in your driving time to my initial proposed venue. Let's have a few more replies please, I have been talking with local country boys, and maybe the January date might be a bit early and we might go for the spring. It needs to be a local hall for me if I am going to do this. As JD probably knows, there is probably a few trips to the hall with equipment. I don't, and won't do things by half, it will be full out preparing the venue, the tracks, implementing ideas and new layout.

I have just returned from giving a seminar in Italy. It went smoothly and was successful even having an Italian to English translator for myself. The gig afterwards had a huge image projected onto big buildings of the music happening on stage. Well I have had this idea of overhead cam projecting onto a big wall or screen at the venue for teaching, tuition and also when the players do their own sessions later in the evening. This can only help those watching and listening from their sitting positions further back in the hall. This equipment doesn't come cheap, and I am prepared to purchase it, at my expense, to assist in helping everybody who attends. You always see it in Dallas and from anywhere in the hall you can get a front on view or a player but with an overhead it may be even better.

Simple tabs would be prepared to show on screen, and even sent by email before hand to one or two simple instrumentals.

Most of Johns format would be followed.

I have already decided that a lower admission charge would apply.

I have decided to have a raffle too, and after all the expenses taken out it would all go to charity.

I have not decided on whether to have a house band or not.

I have decided I would like a bit more of your interest shown and ideas from you will be considered.

I do have the support of the guys who have kindly replied and I know I have support from Mark Dunn who will be helping me with the planning. I have support from local east Anglian players who have never or rarely played or attended JDs meetings.

This could be really good, this could also be a flop with low attendance which will make it my first and maybe last attempt at carrying on what John has been successful in organising over ther years. As I say, I will give it all, and anyone knows what my summer parties are like, they know there's no expense spared.

Not that this is a summer party, but it will have everything I can possibly think of to make it educational, entertaining, and relaxing, and of course, food will be arranged. A few cokes and hot drinks too. There would not be a bar at the venue. It would be bring your own.

OK. Now you know, let's have some more input please.
CD's and individual tracks available to download from iTunes and CD Baby.
Email [email protected] for tuitional material and lessons.
David Hartley
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Jason Lynch » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:49 pm

Sounds bloody Fantastic!
House band vs backing track is a difficult one. A backing track means you don't have to pay the band, but then the feeling of playing with a live band is completely different to a track.
The overhead projector/ screen is a brilliant idea. great for us beginners.
Jason Lynch

Next

Return to Steel Guitar Events Meetings and Festivals