Building, restoration, repairs, set-up, tweaking....in here!
Post a reply

Struggling tuning LKL

Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:06 pm

Hi folks,

Just want to preface this by saying I’m pretty green when it comes to pedal steel. I’ve just bought my first one, a Carter starter 3x4 which I got for a real good price. Now I managed to tune it up all good, all apart from the E strings when the LKL is engaged. It seems the lever raises the lower E far too high while the higher E raises only a little if at all. Now when I try to tune with the lever engaged the nylon pegs pop off before the lower E gets to F.
When looking under the guitar I saw someone had put a screw there as a stop. Obviously it’s not the most effective solution but it does work somewhat. I’ve read that Carter starters tend to have issues with the LKL but surely there’s a way for me to get the E strings in tune without the nylon pegs flying off every time? The guitar came with replacement tuning pegs but again I can’t loosen them enough without them popping off.

Based in Brighton if anyone happens to know any steel players around the area that could assist me and forgive me if the answer to this one is a simple one. I’m trying my best to read and learn as much as I can about the mechanics!

Much appreciated

Re: Struggling tuning LKL

Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:17 pm

if you wanna drive to St Neots cambs (about 2.5 hours) I will gladly sort it out 4u no charge.

Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:41 pm

Hi John, that’d be great thank you! I’m drop you a PM to sort out a day

Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:50 am

Hope you got home ok Harrison,hellova drive Brighton to St.Neots, good to see a young guy so keen on steel.

Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:40 pm

Thanks John for finding and solving the issue and spending all that time fixing up my Carter. Also thank you for the cups of tea and allowing me to play on your Bennett!

You were a major help and step forward in my steel journey
Post a reply