Building, restoration, repairs, set-up, tweaking....in here!
Post a reply

Pedal Steel Set-Up/Service in or near London>

Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:09 pm

Hi, just posted about this in the Steel Guitar Forum and it was suggested I post here too. Brand new to playing pedal steel and to the forum. Apologies if this has already been brought up - I had a look and couldn't find any answers on the forum or from a google search.

In November 2023 bought an MSA Sidekick (I think it's pretty old - maybe 70s?). When I first got it I gave it a pretty thorough clean as it was pretty grimy. I put new strings on a couple of months ago now, got it all tuned up and working by using YouTube videos - but the tuning keeps slipping after a short amount of playing using the pedals. I've played it pretty consistently and have given the strings more than enough time to stretch and settle in.

I think it might be beyond me to get it working as it should. I was wondering if anyone knew of any techs in or near London who would be able to give me a hand setting it up?

Thanks,

Joe

Re: Pedal Steel Set-Up/Service in or near London>

Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:55 pm

Can you bring it to St Neots Cambs?

Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:38 am

Hi Joe,
I’d recommend you go and see John. If St Neots is too far I’m in NE London and happy to take a look, I’ve done basic tinkering with MSA’s, Sho-Buds and ZB’s but I can’t exactly say I’m a tech. I can check the setup and sort out basic issues though. Feel free to get in touch.

Best of luck,
Jonathan

Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:24 pm

Hi Joe,

A bit like Jonathan, I'm not a guitar tech, but I am comfortable rebuilding these beasts (my own Bennett is in the middle of a strip and rebuild). If there is a problem I will usually find it.

I'm in Chesham, NW of London at the end of the Met Line. If you are near, and can pop round, I can take a look. At the very least you (and I) will meet another PSG player locally.

Either way I hope you sort it out.

Bryan
Post a reply