ZB Custom setup and repair

Building, restoration, repairs, set-up, tweaking....in here!

ZB Custom setup and repair

Postby jonshack » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:12 pm

1D983456-C319-4B35-8A01-853C631846CA.jpeg

I’m delighted to have my 1974 ZB Custom all fixed up so I can start getting to grips with it after purchasing over a year ago. For various reasons, mainly time commitments, no less than three UK mechanics had to pass on the guitar which needed a Day to Emmons conversion and a general servicing. So I was in a bit of a bind but JD gave me the number of Peter Johnston in Birkenhead and Ronnie Bennett was also happy to recommend him.

Peter knows ZB mechanics inside out and worked diligently on the guitar, which although it was in very good condition overall, needed the changer axles replacing and a fair bit of TLC to bring back to a fully playable state. The pedal action is really positive now. If anyone needs a ZB repair man, message me and I’ll pass on his number. He’s not on the internet but is very happy to talk everything through on the phone and he has many years of mechanical experience with steel guitars and b benders. The job only took a couple of weeks and I feel Pete charged me a very reasonable price for his work which included some custom made parts. It’s good to know there are people out there who can fix up old ZB’s.

Jonathan

Please excuse the aimless noodling and C6 busking :)

Attachments
C21DF72C-93E2-4566-8085-33844F6B1C85.jpeg
DD3C442A-0D7D-4835-B1DF-56AFF11CF3FB.jpeg
jonshack
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Re: ZB Custom setup and repair

Postby Uncle Roy » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:10 am

Well done Jonathan, another old classic guitar brought back to life and sounding great.
Never heard of Peter Johnston before so we have another name now for steel guitar refurbishment to add to our list, that’s interesting.
Lovely sounding instrument!
Uncle Roy

Postby jonshack » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:43 pm

Thanks Roy, yes I don’t know too much about Peter’s back story, he’s retired and plays locally (on a Fender and GFI) and has made b benders and other instruments as a hobby/sideline. He’s currently building his own pedal steel based on ZB mechanics. I don’t know if he would service other brands but it can’t hurt to ask. By his own admission he’s not internet savvy but I’m happy to put anyone in touch or ask JD or Ronnie.

Jonathan
jonshack
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Ken Byng » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:19 pm

That's the ZB tone right there Jon. Peter is a valuable asset in the UK - someone who can carry out servicing and repairs of ZBs. You've done well to find him. That's a really nice guitar. I had one just like it in 1974.
Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby jonshack » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:02 pm

Thanks Ken. You’d have a much better idea than me but I reckon there must be at least 50 to 100 ZB’s knocking about in the UK? Second only to Sho Buds (thanks to Mr Snowball and team including yourself)? Maybe MSA’s are up there. I don’t think Peter’s got any aspirations to go pro mechanic (I don’t know) but he was happy for me to mention his name and I think he could be busy if he wants.

I have some spare parts from this guitar’s twin (sunburst with the next serial number along), now owned by a chap in Wales, who Ronnie had done an SD-10/ modern undercarriage conversion for about 10 years ago. Maybe it was the one you had back in the day?

Jonathan
jonshack
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Ken Byng » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:14 pm

jonshack wrote:Thanks Ken. You’d have a much better idea than me but I reckon there must be at least 50 to 100 ZB’s knocking about in the UK? Second only to Sho Buds (thanks to Mr Snowball and team including yourself)? .............Jonathan

Hi Jonathon - I'm pretty sure that there are many hundreds of ZBs and Sho~Buds under beds and in garages, sheds and lofts in the UK. I sold mainly ZB steel guitars and a few Emmons' for Eric Snowball as an agent from 1972 to 1975 and Sho~Bud steels as an agent for John Edmed from 1975 to 1982. Those two guys undercut each other to such an extent that they were hardly making any profit on them. But they didn't care as long as they sold more than the other side. Johnny Edmed worked a deal out with the Jackson brothers in Nashville to supply him with all the Sho~Buds that they could supply. I was very friendly with Maurice Anderson in the 70's, and took him to see John in Denmark St, London, and as a result MSA supplied some guitars to John.

I still think that ZB guitars have incredibly wonderful tone, and I've always felt that having the pull rod stops on the end plate is the major contributory factor. ZBs are flipping heavy, otherwise I would probably still own one to this day.
Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Frank » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:04 pm

Hi - I'm looking for someone to do some repair work on my ZB Custom. Would appreciate it if anyone has Peter Johnston's contact details! Thanks, Francis
Frank

Return to Steel Guitar Technical