Building, restoration, repairs, set-up, tweaking....in here!
Post a reply

Banner Ads

Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:01 am

You may have notice the arrival of banner adverts at the top pages throughout the BSS forum.

This is just a "toe in the water" which I am testing, without consultation with Bob or Roy. They're not here to stay, by any means, and if they are universally panned then they will certainly go.

The thing is, as you probably know, Bob pays for this forum out of his own pocket, helped by generous donations from other members. These ads are served by Google on a revenue share model, and any income generated from them will also go to Bob to help with the forum costs.

The banners could be expanded to include banners from individuals to their own website(s) in the rotation, for a small annual fee (again, to offset the costs of the forum for Bob). But that would only be added if there were any takers!

Let me know what you think....are the ads too intrusive? Not relevant? Just not wanted?

Bob & Roy - if you don't want them, just say the word and they're gone!

Re: Banner Ads

Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:46 pm

Marc, I am more than happy to see them here. Anything that helps Bob with the cost of this site. Bring it on.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:51 pm

I wasn’t too concerned when I first saw the Ad banners. However at the very moment I was reading Marc’s explanation.
Up popped a banner for ‘Online Dating - [link removed]‘ This was definitely Not what I was looking for from the forum !!!
JohnS

Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:58 pm

JohnS wrote:I wasn’t too concerned when I first saw the Ad banners. However at the very moment I was reading Marc’s explanation.
Up popped a banner for ‘Online Dating - [link removed]‘ This was definitely Not what I was looking for from the forum !!!
JohnS

As I said, the ads are served by Google, based on the content of the page they're included on. Quite why that one appeared is anybody's guess, though!

There is the facility to block certain ads appearing (by target site), and so I'll add that to the exclusion list now (may take some time to filter through, though). Thanks for the report!

If anyone sees any other inappropriate ads, just let me know!

Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:14 pm

Marc, Firstly, Thank you for sorting this out and for all the work you do in administering this Website.
Regards
John Stafford

Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:32 pm

If it helps can't see any problems, the adds don't bother me.
Post a reply