News and views on all things Lap Steel
Post a reply

Strings and Supply

Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:17 pm

I use the following for my High 'G' tuning:

1st.0.012 2nd.0.015 32rd. 0.018 4th. 0.022 5th 0.024 6th 0.032 7th 0.036 8th 0.042 Now I have tried nearly all the ranges of makes and have come to the final supplier, who is easy to deal with is truthful and above all reliable. I notice that during this difficult time most supply's are slow. But I only use Newtone Strings now on my lap steels and living here in France his supply is very reliable. He isn't the cheapest but he isn't the dearest either and for a small business he takes some beating. Newtone Strings also make it easy for you as they have a custom section with drop down menu, which alow's you to to pick the gauge you prefer. He coimes highly rated and makes signature sets as well.

Re: Strings and Supply

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:14 am

I agree with Maurice.
The quality of strings and customer service from Newtone Strings has been excellent.
Standard sets or custom gauged sets can be made up to your specifications.
UK Manufactured in Derbyshire.

Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:31 pm

You can buy lap steel strings in the UK here
https://www.alchemystrings.co.uk

Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:55 am

I find that the string gauges of budget strings are wrong for any but a major tuning. Most assume you want G high bass set, which don't really work for C6, A6, E13 or B11. I've even looked at the possibility of buying a couple of different sets to mix & match but that didn't look feasible either. Eagle Music do a set of C6th (£5.99) but even then I would need to swap out at least one string. However they do offer to make up sets to your gauges; but I haven't tried that out yet as I have several odd strings left from other "nearly right" sets.

Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:48 pm

I had a couple of sets of C6 6 string for my lap steel from Eagle some time ago where the .026 measured .032, so get the leftover feeling.
However on reordering and contacting them to double check the sets before ordering they were most apologetic and supplied a couple of extra .026 in the new order.
Cant ask more than that.
Dave

Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:56 pm

I only import the Buddy Emmons signature series sets of S.I.T. as i figure if they were good enough for Emmons.......they are surely good enough for me, I had a tour of the factory by Virgill Lay the founder of what was Lays strings and he was in his 80's then.i have had a few custom sets made up for the plank players but i always get left with a few odds and sods just not enough used to make it viable so i will stick with the pedal players who still see Emmons as King

Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:40 am

I used to get a Custom set of strings for my Carter Starter (apologies John), as it required a slightly different setup, from Gerry Hogan's site, always easy and pleasant to deal with. He supplies single strings.

But, these days I get my fix from this forum's main man, JD :guitar: Only the best for Wee Gertie (that's my GFI)

Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:12 pm

Tony Russell Davis wrote:I find that the string gauges of budget strings are wrong for any but a major tuning. Most assume you want G high bass set, which don't really work for C6, A6, E13 or B11. I've even looked at the possibility of buying a couple of different sets to mix & match but that didn't look feasible either. Eagle Music do a set of C6th (£5.99) but even then I would need to swap out at least one string. However they do offer to make up sets to your gauges; but I haven't tried that out yet as I have several odd strings left from other "nearly right" sets.

Hi
What are the gauges you are looking for, and what tuning would you be using ?

Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:35 pm

Danny Mitchell wrote:I used to get a Custom set of strings for my Carter Starter (apologies John), as it required a slightly different setup, from Gerry Hogan's site, always easy and pleasant to deal with. He supplies single strings.

But, these days I get my fix from this forum's main man, JD :guitar: Only the best for Wee Gertie (that's my GFI)

Hi
I dont understand your post . JD say he only imports Buddy Emmons sets . I'm not a peddle steel player , but I understand Buddy Emmons are for peddle steel guitars . Are you saying you use B E strings on a lap steel guitar , or am I missing something?

Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:27 pm

WineRider wrote:I use the following for my High 'G' tuning:

1st.0.012 2nd.0.015 32rd. 0.018 4th. 0.022 5th 0.024 6th 0.032 7th 0.036 8th 0.042 Now I have tried nearly all the ranges of makes and have come to the final supplier, who is easy to deal with is truthful and above all reliable. I notice that during this difficult time most supply's are slow. But I only use Newtone Strings now on my lap steels and living here in France his supply is very reliable. He isn't the cheapest but he isn't the dearest either and for a small business he takes some beating. Newtone Strings also make it easy for you as they have a custom section with drop down menu, which alow's you to to pick the gauge you prefer. He coimes highly rated and makes signature sets as well.

Well done Maurice for finding strings that suit your needs. Stick with them mate as it will help to keep the company going for a longer period.

I used to swear by Cobra Coil strings but they would frequently have tarnished spots that would annoyingly be picked up by the bar as it passed over the affected strings. Since moving on I have found what I consider to be the finest strings on the market by a country mile, the Nashville-based Live Steel Strings. This company produces sets and single strings. Another company that has a good name these days after a slight hiccup with production issues is the Jagwire company. Again, they make sets for their endorsees, but I'm sure that it's possible to buy single Jagwires direct from the company.
Post a reply