Equipment

This is where you can rest a while and discuss anything - doesn't have to be steel guitar related!

Re: Equipment

Postby Donny Johnston » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:20 am

Bob, Do you never sleep ?
OK, ANY ADVANCE ON TEN LLAMAS, What's a llama ?
Blanton D10, Justice s10, Fender Acoustasonic 150, 1 Brain, 2 Hands, 2 Knees, & 2 Feet.
Donny Johnston
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Donny Johnston » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:23 am

Ive just worked it out, it's a rock n roll sheep.
it's a RAMALLAMADINGDONG.
Blanton D10, Justice s10, Fender Acoustasonic 150, 1 Brain, 2 Hands, 2 Knees, & 2 Feet.
Donny Johnston
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby STEDDIE EDDIE » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:14 am

Really! can we get away from wife swapping and back to the subject?
I have to agree with Paul, using one amp for guitar and steel is always a compromise, the voicings for them two instruments is so very different, and just like Paul, the vegas option just doesn't cut it for guitar, i have said before that i did spend the best part of a grand buying a re issue 65' fender twin reverb, but i thought it was awful for the steel, i admit that i have never tried an original 65 blackface with jbl e120's, as JD swears by, and even if i could afford it, i probably couldnt lift it, i purchased a vibrosonic with an orange jbl 15" a couple of years ago, but i just didnt like my guitar thro the 15" speaker, so i continue to use one amp, the very reliable and good all round compromise nashville 112, with my favourite speaker in it, an EVM12L, using two processors to route the two different signals,
have been tempted of late though to get a small 30 watt valve combo for guitar, carvin, fender etc, plenty of headroom there, as i dont like loud backline on stage, keep it sweet and let the PA rig do its work to get the sound out there, that is what i say,
Carter sd10 USA Fender Telecaster, digitech rp155, Goodrich ldr2 vp, peavey nashville 112 electro-voice, Roland 80XL,
STEDDIE EDDIE
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Ken Byng » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:15 pm

Eddie - I am the opposite to you. I really like playing guitar though a 15" speaker. Necessity has forced it over the last 35 years through having to play both steel and lead through a steel amp, and I am used to having a bigger bottom end on guitar.

The Roland Cube 80X is one hell of a guitar amp, and pedal steel sound great through it too. It has a 12" speaker and I think it knocks spots off the NV 112 for sound.
Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Donny Johnston » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:55 pm

Ok, the discussion seems to have gone in the direction of steel and guitar through different amps. I would agree with that, but it wasn't my original question. If you are a steel player only, or a guitar player only, why do you need so much gear.
Now does anybody want some llamas ?
Donny Johnston
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Uncle Roy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:01 pm

Donny not sure about llamas would a alpaca be able to carry my gear? :lol:
Attachments
Sweet16head2_small.jpg
Sweet16head2_small.jpg (3.43 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
Uncle Roy

Postby Donny Johnston » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:42 pm

You are really lucky Uncle Roy, I have 2. Can I just have them delivered.
Donny Johnston
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby ZBSD-10 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:17 pm

Well,.............we ain't got any llamas or camels but we do have some manky donkeys which they don't
need here anymore as they all got BMW's and Mercs now as they ain't got any money ! :lol:
Not sure about bidding on another woman, think Lin might do a eunuch on me if I tried that !! :shock:
All the best fellow steel people, can't wait to get back ! :D
Frank. Corfu 8-)
ZBSD-10
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby ZBSD-10 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:19 pm

I just noticed, ain't that photo a dead ringer for Uncle Roy ! :lol: :lol:
Frank. Corfu 8-)
ZBSD-10
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Ken Byng » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:33 pm

Donny Johnston wrote:Ok, the discussion seems to have gone in the direction of steel and guitar through different amps. I would agree with that, but it wasn't my original question. If you are a steel player only, or a guitar player only, why do you need so much gear?

Donny
I suppose there is the fact that as you get older, you tend to have more disposable income to spend on gear. I have a garage load of guitars, a pile of amps, dozens of effects pedals, 9 volume pedals, 2 banjos and 6 pedal steels - all acumulated over the years. All bought on the basis that you can never have enough gear. My missus says that if I got run over by a bus, she wouldn't have a clue of the value of my gear. I ought to do an inventory of all of my stuff, list them and put an approximate value by each one.

Most of us must be in the same position. In the States they call it GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome. :D
Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

PreviousNext

Return to Steel Guitar Cafe