This is about helpful tips and advice in recording Steel Guitar
Post a reply

Exciter pedal

Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:40 pm

Has anyone any experience of using an Aphex guitar exciter with pedal steel. I was thinking of getting one to try to get a bit of sparkle to my psg tone.

Re: Exciter pedal

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:27 pm

more time in the woodshed needed.....

Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:00 pm

Hello John,
You are of course entirely right !
Cheers,
Pete

Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:59 am

Hi Peter
I reckon the exciter pedal can be a dangerous tool, especially in the hands of someone over 30! The trouble with all that stuff up at those frequencies is that after puberty, your ears get gradually worse at hearing it. THats why treble knobs ain’t what they used to be! THe aphex was good for a bit of sparkle on a dull old tape recording but when I had one, the rack version, it didn’t get a lot of use. Often, perceived ‘mush’ or lack of zing is best viewed as deciding what you ‘don’t’ want rather than what can you ‘add’. Less is actually more and taking away the mud will give you what you want without killing all the young people with ultrasonics.
Other opinions are available.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Calum

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:09 pm

Hi Peter,
Have you ever considered something like the 'Li'l Izzy', or some other impedance buffer? I found instant clarity across all strings when I plugged mine in.
Also, I would second the points that Calum's made, especially the ageing/treble loss anomaly (the sprouting hairy ears don't help either!)

Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:40 pm

How did you know I was over 30 (well over ! )
I have over the years tried various impedance pedals and boxes. Maybe I shall have to turn up the treble on my hearing aid ……when I can get it out past the clumps of ear hair !
Pete
Post a reply