Steel guitar related items for sale

Nice Guitar

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:13 am

JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Re: Nice Guitar

Postby Ken Byng » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:23 am

I have been asked to check it out for a potential buyer, as the seller lives near Southampton. While it looks the part, one can only assess its true value by playing it. If there are major issues, £500 could be an expensive mistake. If not it could be a real bargain.

Home built guitars will never have the re-sale value of a named brand, which is a pity because I have seen some great one off projects and some real mass manufactured dogs. You pay your money and take your choice as they say. :D
Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby john roche » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:45 am

Looks like a ZB that has been messed up...
john roche
Deceased
Deceased

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:16 pm

I disagree ..... Yes its based on the ZB design by the look of it.....but Messed up!????? I don`t think so, Look at the workmanship that has gone into it...... Anyone that has taken that much trouble to "get it right" ......... Then compare it to a modern student model that today you would pay 500-850 for and not even get adjustable legs!!
I have never met Jed Oatham but I do know this has been a pro. guitar for a lot of years and from what I can see there I was pleased to kick the bidding off for 500quid and would go a little higher.....but I am fairly confident that I will not be the buyer someone else will be a happy camper :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

If there is an issue with this guitar, I would say its likely to be the weight!! don`t buy it if you have a bad back!
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Ken Byng » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:50 pm

I would tend to agree with John Davis - there has been a lot of effort put into this guitar, and the materials alone must have cost a bomb. JD - if I get to play it I'll send you some feedback by IM. If it sounds and plays as good as it looks then it will be a good buy for someone.

The mechanics owe a little tip of the hat to ZB, but not a lot. From what I can see the pulling mechanism would look to be far more serviceable than a ZB, and I should know as many have passed through my hands.
Show Pro D10 (amber) 8 + 6, MSA Signature XL D10 (redburst) 9 + 6, Sho~Bud D10 (sunburst) Pro 111 8 + 6, Emmons D10 Push Pull - (black) 8+5, Zumsteel D10 (blue) 8 + 8, Hudson pedal resonator, 10 string lap steel. Telonics, Peavey & Webb amps,
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Ken Byng » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:55 pm

I have asked the seller to show a pic of the endplate of the guitar, and it is pure ZB. I may be going tomorrow evening to take a look at the guitar will a potential buyer.
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:06 am

Ken, I take it you and your student must have bought the guitar as my bids have been cancelled and it has ended??
I think your guy will be very pleased with it as it looked a real beaut to me....... :?
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Ken Byng » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi John - he's not my student, just someone I know. He has been looking on eBay for ages for a pedal steel, and has just missed out on one or two. He arranged with Jed Oatham to view the guitar, and because he doesn't play, asked me this week to view it with him.

The guitar was exactly as described. It has many of Gerry Evenden's hallmarks on it, although Jed didn't say who the luthier was. The main thing was that the guitar played in tune, didn't have too much cabinet drop and was in pretty fair condition. It came with a ZB pedal. The guitar was a bit like Sho-Bud meets ZB.

Jed is a lovely guy, and he is really into his music and recording. He and the buyer did a cash deal that suited both of them, and they were both happy bunnies. I will definitely keep in touch with Jed, who has offered to engineer a solo album that I am working on in my studio.
Ken Byng
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Zumbilly(Murdoch) » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:36 pm

Ken
I WANT a signed copy :)
Billy
Zumbilly(Murdoch)
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby henry » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:22 am

It would be good to have players' albums available through this forum.
I bought David and Mark's Merle Haggard album and that was an absolute cracker.
I'd really like to hear other stuff that people are recording.
Marlen S10, Williams U12
Henry Senior - Pedal Steel Guitar
henry
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Return to For Sale