So what's the best way to start playing steel with a band?

Are you looking for gigs for yourself or your band

So what's the best way to start playing steel with a band?

Postby saddletramp » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:21 pm

I have only recently taken up pedal steel, but have progressed enough (I think) to start playing with others. I think I would learn a lot faster in a band context. I have a day job so I can't make a full time commitment, but I can gig/record evenings and weekends in the S Wales area. Has anybody got good ideas about how to find other musicians? I would be most interested in country, country rock, and americana.

I have played in many other types of bands for years and currently play dobro in a bluegrass band, but I'm stumped when it comes to finding an outlet for my steel playing. The bluegrass band wouldn't allow any electric instruments around. :shock: Should I put up a card in a music shop or advertise in Join My Band? Any advice you can offer would be great.

Chris
saddletramp
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Re: So what's the best way to start playing steel with a ban

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:43 pm

Chris, there are loads of places to advertise if your keen enough to get it done! cards in all the music shops you can find.. Band mix, Star now< and I bet a dozen more on the internet, Brit.Country music website ....open mics down the local... Icould go on and on>>>>>>>>>> 8-)
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby saddletramp » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:24 pm

Thanks, John. I have tried several of those -- BandMix, British Country Music site, Join My Band -- but certainly haven't exhausted all the options. I get the impression that South Wales may not be so fertile for country-ish music, though there is a fairly active bluegrass scene. I have seen unanswered adverts from a couple of steel players in this area on the Internet who are much more advanced than me with their skills.
saddletramp
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby henry » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:45 pm

Marlen S10, Williams U12
Henry Senior - Pedal Steel Guitar
henry
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby john roche » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:14 pm

Find a good jam session , they will do all sorts of music....you can pick up a lot skills doing them,
john roche
Deceased
Deceased

Postby coolsteel » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:38 pm

Hi Chris,

A good way of getting into a band is to start your own, try advertising for like minded players of various instruments.

Great to see you have moved on to the pedal steel. Have you still got the Fender Stringmaster? What make of steel do you have?

Regards
Richard
coolsteel
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby saddletramp » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:39 pm

Hi Richard,

thanks for the advice. I've thought about starting a band, but I'm trying to avoid all that hassle of getting a PA and rehearsal space as well as recruiting good musicians. I guess I'm being a bit lazy, but I have a busy day job and I'm still very active playing dobro in a bluegrass band. Starting my own band could be an option. At least then I would have a say in the material.

I bought a Stage One from Doug Earnest in the US to see if I could get a decent sound out of a PSG before making a more substantial financial commitment. I've been playing for about six months now and so far so good. It's challenging but I'm loving it.

I'm very pleased with the Stage One and it gets good recommendations from lots of players on the US SGF. I still have the Fender and play it occasionally. I love the tone! However, between learning PSG and playing a lot of dobro it tends to get neglected.

Have you still got the Millennium and the Mike Auldridge Beard? I was very impressed with both of them.

Cheers,

Chris
saddletramp
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Return to Steel Players or Bands Available